when to stop modding (gretsch)

Devin

Low Voltage
I have a MIJ gretsch power jet that is becoming a money pit.

changed pickups, twice.

changed bridge and base

paid for the pro setup and nut.

whats left to do?

- I cant stand the locking sperzels and I cant see a way out from them that doesn't involve doweling and re-drilling. I have no idea what that will cost.

- I need to get rid of the bigsby... get a "g" tail or trapese.

-should probably change the circuit and get some better full size pots.... do these have metric sized pots?

Should I go after these changes? Is it too late to stop?

it will be practically worthless when done :brick

Staggerlee

changed pickups, twice.

changed bridge and base

whats left to do?

- I cant stand the locking sperzels and I cant see a way out from them that doesn't involve doweling and re-drilling. I have no idea what that will cost.

-should probably change the circuit and get some better full size pots.... do these have metric sized pots?

Sell it and get the guitar you want.

Blue4Now

Gold Supporting Member
step away from the Gretsch..................... I have owned 4 Pro lines and have found no need at all to do that sort of work. If you don't like Bigsby's you should have not bought a guitar with a Bigsby. The stock pickups are fantastic be it Dynas, Gretsch Filters or TV Jones. The Sperzels are great, what's the issue? Again, if you did nto like them why buy a guitar with them?

The pots, assuming its a 2004 or newer are top quality

Sell it and move on

Last edited:

Waxhead

step away from the Gretsch..................... I have owned 4 Pro lines and have found no need at all to do that sort of work. If you don't like Bigsby's you should have not bought a guitar with a Bigsby. The stock pickups are fantastic be it Dynas, Gretsch Filters or TV Jones. The Sperzels are great, what's the issue? Again, if you did nto like them why buy a guitar with them?

The pots, assuming its a 2004 or newer are top quality

Sell it and move on

hehe - I agree.
Jets don't need any of these mod's or any at all - they're one of the world's best guitars stock imo.
Some people are just never happy :)

Devin

Low Voltage
first guitar I have had with a bigsby.... Its not the bigsby that bugs me as much as the completely bad mechanics of the string path.... I get thats part of the way it sounds. if the tuners where actually secured to the guitars headstock I think it would sound better. I know its a good guitar I just don't think it's my preferred sound. Re-stringing is a PITA.

Im looking for bluesbird instead I think. A small bodied semi vibe.

bsteff666

Silver Supporting Member
Sell it & get what you want.

I have a pair of Power Jets. For me...they are perfectly hot rodded right out of the box. I didn't have to do a thing to mine except give them a set-up to my liking. They sound great & stay in tune perfectly even under heavy Bigsby use.

Perfection as they come...and I am normally tweaking around with most guitars.

boyce89976

Gold Supporting Member
^Agreed! My Duo Jet was almost perfect right out of the box. Best intonation of any guitar I own, or have owned.

WoodyStrat

I just went through this with a 335. I finally sold the damn thing. It is not for you. I just got a 6120 and I don't plan on change much of anything, it just works for me.

Tuners and pups are reasonable, but if you have to go too deep, then it is probably best to move it on down the road. :(

Staggerlee

A little tip, when changing strings on a Bigsby, prebend them with a pencil at the end.

You can recoup your expenses by the way by selling the Bigsby for about $100 and buying a G taipiece for $20-30. Same withh tuners. Just get the original ones and sell the Sperzels

Devin

Low Voltage
the only tuners that fit sperzel holes are more sperzels I think?

I'm going to put the bigsby arm back on and string it up. Give it one last shot. Then probably list it. Love the TV supers. Just not the platform.

bschultzjames

changed pickups, twice.

changed bridge and base

whats left to do?

I remember you telling me that this guitar is one of those guitar's you'll never get rid of...so why not invest in it a bit and make it one you love to play too? There's nothing wrong in that.

What don't you like about the locking tuners? Usually folks seem to rave about Sperzels so maybe going back to the stock style tuners would be better? Do you still have them, or did this guitar come to you with the locking tuners installed already?

Getting a "G" tailpiece certainly would look awesome and solve your problem of not liking the bigsby. it's still floating style so you shouldn't notice too much difference in the tone.

What are you looking to solve by changing the electronics? Are you unhappy with the pickup sound or general overall sound? What do you like / not like about the instrument? If it's too dark, using higher value pots could work; I'm sure you've tried that already though.

dallasblues

I'm all for modding gear. That's part of the personalization and the fun. But there comes a point when you're changing so much that it just doesn't make sense. It's like going down a rabbit hole with no end in sight. Maybe... just maybe... all the things you think might work will result in your dream guitar, but then again they might not. Are you willing to continue investing money, time, and frustration chasing a dragon you might never catch with that guitar? And consider this, by extensively modding a guitar it could potentially devalue it. This would be fine if it works out for you. But that's a big "if". My belief is that you need to find a guitar that is 80-90 percent there already. Even better is to start with one that is great as-is. Anything done afterwards is minor and just icing on the cake.

Devin

Low Voltage
I remember you telling me that this guitar is one of those guitar's you'll never get rid of...so why not invest in it a bit and make it one you love to play too? There's nothing wrong in that.

What don't you like about the locking tuners? Usually folks seem to rave about Sperzels so maybe going back to the stock style tuners would be better? Do you still have them, or did this guitar come to you with the locking tuners installed already?

Getting a "G" tailpiece certainly would look awesome and solve your problem of not liking the bigsby. it's still floating style so you shouldn't notice too much difference in the tone.

What are you looking to solve by changing the electronics? Are you unhappy with the pickup sound or general overall sound? What do you like / not like about the instrument? If it's too dark, using higher value pots could work; I'm sure you've tried that already though.

Oops, haha. Yeah..... :eek: my issue is with how loosely the tuners are secured by like half a thread of hex-nut. I'm sure its just part of my frustration with restringing it. They work fine. I think they're just bad for the resonance of the guitar. We'll see. It might blow over once I get it up and running again. Part of the issue is I have 8 electrics. It's sort of too many. I'm working on them and playing them one at a time. By the time I get back to the start of the rack, I have new setup issues... or upgrade ideas. Poor me.

first world problems :cry: