When to use linear taper or audio taper pots?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by GuitarInnovations, Nov 4, 2019.

1. GuitarInnovations

GuitarInnovations Member

From a quick search, the consensus is to use audio taper pots for tone controls.

What about volume controls?

Also, what pots are considered the best available today?

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

Audio taper for the treble-cut control, Volume is user preference.
    I prefer Linear taper for volume, but many will like Audio, because it allows you to "clean up" with less rolling back than a Linear taper.

Here's a visual example:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  3. Dan40

Dan40 Supporting Member

I like an audio taper (10%) for volume because it allows a quicker cleanup from 10 down to 8 and then a gradual volume reduction from 8 on down. They also make a vintage audio taper (30%) and other custom audio tapers that react a little slower and more like a linear taper.

bigtone23, EL34 and Killed_by_Death like this.
  4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

if you play crunchy and like to work the clean to crunch transition from the guitar then you want audio taper volumes

if you play clean jazz or bass you want linear taper volumes.

you want audio taper for tones regardless.

5. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

I agree with everything said thus far.
    As far as the best pots... It mostly comes down to CTS and Bournes.
    Best reliability? Best size? Best tolerance? Best performance? Both companies have many products and are pretty much the same as each other.
    Best feel? Bournes are usually smoother, looser, faster feeling. CTS tend to be stiffer, but that can be fixed/personalized with a drop of naphtha and some rotation of the control until your personal feel happens.
    There's a lot of personal preference at play. Fortunately, pots are fairly cheap and easy to experiment and change out. I like both companies the same. I don't care for super loose pots in positions that get bumped (like Strat volumes).

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  6. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

Always use Audio pots.

matt1969 likes this.
  7. 70 Mach 1

70 Mach 1 Supporting Member

I tried Linear volume once and quickly put it back to audio. Because like mentioned it was too much of a fuss to lower the vol.

8. walterw

the CTS that feel easy/loose tend to be the ones with the "vintage style" dimpled back with the spindle poking through, while the "flatback" ones tend towards being stiff.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bigtone23 likes this.
  9. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

Audio and Bournes

10. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

I use audio for both. I'm super sick-and-tired of the crap audio pots sold by just about everyone. I find the taper, whatever is advertised, to be unreliable and I rarely end up with the smooth progression I want. Because pots are "throwback" items, all the ones I've tried are built way worse than any other component on a guitar. While there's a general knee-jerk preference for CTS pots, I find Bourns to be markedly smoother. Honestly, though, I wish some other company would take on pot-building, because Bourns, CTS, and Alpha are all junk. You can see that by looking at them. And god only knows why the tolerances are so broad in a component where the actual value is quite significant. Honestly, if I get a smooth pot of the right value for my guitar, I don't even fight for a proper taper anymore. I'd love to see some startup put the "big boys" out of the pot business.

11. bob-i

bob-i Member

12. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

after years of playing mostly at home, clean amp and dirt pedals
    with a volume pedal...I tend to keep all my guitar controls maxed and leave them...yes,,,i said it

I would remove them and wire my pups straight to switch and jack if not for the 4 gaping holes it would leave

that said, ive been upgrading electronics in my guits and have bought cts audio tapers

13. galibier_un

galibier_un Supporting Member

Well, you could just leave all the controls in place and bypass them if this is your preference :D

... Thom

jturner likes this.
  14. mildew

mildew Member

Recently i was installing a tone pot, and the only one i had available with push/push was a linear. DUH!!! - now i know why you always use audio for tone. It has zero effect from 10 to 1, then all the treble vanishes from 1 to 0 :)

(since im a "tone always on 10" player i have not actually replaced it yet)

walterw likes this.
  15. matt1969

matt1969 Member

Linear pots act like on/off switches when used for volume controls. No variabllity.

16. walterw

with overdrive

when the sound is totally clean linear volumes work just fine, evenly controlling the volume throughout the sweep

bigtone23 likes this.
  17. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

Same here.