When was it not an exciting time to be a guitar player?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Dan Desy, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Supporting Member

Never. The end.

ptgold, pagemore, ejecta and 4 others like this.
  2. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

I have more stompboxes than either Robert Johnson OR Jimi Hendrix though, so.........:D

jaded_musician, ejecta and baldric like this.
  3. Sleezy E

Sleezy E Member

Yesterday.

I didn't get a chance to play yesterday

vibrostrat43, ptgold, Imerkat and 4 others like this.
  4. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Supporting Member

Pretty sure they thought it was super exciting nonetheless.

5. AlanH

AlanH Member

Never but I had a hiatus between ages 25-40 due to family commitments taking over.

Gasp100 likes this.
  6. Ferg Deluxe

Ferg Deluxe Gold Supporting Member

It was pretty darned boring there in the mid/late 90’s after the hype cycle of grunge was over. Strummy-strummy Hootie and Oasis songs (and their derivatives) dominated rock radio. Bands like Matchbox 20 were putting out dishwater-dull records and guitar mag readers were left to vote them as most exciting rock records of the year. Matchbox-frickin-20.

What was left of 80’s bands were putting out mostly lame records based on reputation. 90’s hair bands were in the toilet, and pop-punk became a thing. While some rocked, it was mostly derivative power-chord riffing a la the Ramones. Certainly not exciting. The blues resurgence lead by SRV was in the hands of SRV wannabes. Many of them great players, but again not blazing new trails. Exciting? I guess, as exciting as Kenny Wayne Shepherd could be, sounding like SRV sounding like the three Kings. Not bad, no. I listened and like a lot of it, but I’m not sure I would have if the times weren’t so darned boring for rock guitar.

MTV stopped being a music thing, and became a reality TV thing. VH1, which was already the boring older sister of music television soon followed. By then no one cared.

The gear was hellaciously ok. Folks building replicas of their favorite amps and effects were mostly unknown. Like, it wasn’t that we didn’t know who they were, it’s that we didn’t even know such a thing existed beyond the mere hobbyist. Advancement in the studio was occurring, but that’s not the topic here. Modeling wasn’t a thing. Inexpensive guitars from places like South Korea, of really great quality, were not really a thing just yet. There was a very real fear that amp manufacturers would no longer have access to actual tubes.

This was pre-internet, for most people. Pre-Napster (no judgement either way is intended, but it certainly showed the possibility of exposure to many different artists, and more).

No youtube, no access to folks who would have been a breath of fresh air in a boring climate — think of the missing Guthrie Govan of the day. Much more restricted access to new and unusual music, nothing like today where in a matter of minutes you can find 20 people to knock your socks off, across many genres.

I don’t know, man. Lots of us were figuratively standing amid the rubble and wondering what to do next. Pretty much every guitar related media outlet was asking the same questions, and telling their readers that rock guitar was dead, and to go write folksy pop tunes. Or learn jazz.

I wouldn’t go back there for anything. I seriously contemplated learning piano.

We have it WAAAAY better today in nearly all respects.

7. Lord N

Lord N Member

Best time to play guitar is today.
    And this sentence is true for every day that will follow.

8. 4b454e

4b454e Supporting Member

Radiohead was one very much living breathing and innovating rock band at that time.

That’s about all I have top of mind on a Sunday afternoon two decades hence, though I’m guessing others can add.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    Imerkat likes this.
  9. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

Man, I disagree. I had a blast in the mid to late 90's. I guess being into progressive rock and metal made it easier, but there was a lot of good stuff, and Mesa was really hitting their stride. I couldn't care less about nu metal, but they were increasing builders' interest in 7-string guitars, which was awesome.

JiveTurkey and ejecta like this.
  10. toomanyamps

toomanyamps Member

But he set his guitar on fire.....sounds like a wash.

PaisleyWookie likes this.
  11. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

For me, there's never been a more exciting time to be a guitar player than today and never a less exciting time to be a music consumer.

scott58 and WBellman like this.
  12. jaded1592

jaded1592 Member

Lots of cool stuff was around. Radiohead, Dream Theater, Tool, etc.

Modeling was definitely a thing too. I've had a modeling amp since '98.

4b454e likes this.
  13. bugzapper

bugzapper Member

At no time in my life have I been unable to find good new music.

Most of pop culture, at any given time, is abominable, but so what?

14. GravityWell

GravityWell Member

Through most of the 90’s I was in an experimental rock band and a Meters cover band. I largely ignored pop culture around me and I played through a killer Rivera combo. No complaints here.

Though my vote for not exciting times is definitely yesterday. I broke a string and was too lazy to replace it. I had to play my second favorite guitar.

15. malachi1313

malachi1313 Member

OP answered it exactly how I feel.

16. arislaf

arislaf Member

1920. Were guitar was just an instrument to acompany others. Were no electric guitar existed. Were song patterns were limited. Were all guitarists were one of the same. That was the not exciting time to be a guitarist.

Imerkat likes this.
  17. mobius

mobius Member

Segovia might wish to differ. Limited, lol

csweldon likes this.
  18. markeee

markeee Member

19. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

Yesterday was a fantastic day to be a guitar player for me.

I had neck pickup that didn't work, went on YouTube and fixed it with a soldering iron in 5 minutes. I couldn't have done that 10-15 years ago. I know there's a flipside to most things, but it's so easy to find precise info these days. That saved me both time, hassle and money – which I spend playing through Helix and Powercab for several hours. Good times! :)

JiveTurkey likes this.
  20. Ejay

Ejay Supporting Member

Actually now is the most boring time to be a guitar player.
    You buy one box with shiny lights and you get every sound known to man...no hunt, no discoveries....you pay the cash and your done
    Almost any guitar in the racks is good enough to facilitate your path to rock god...If those would still exist.
    I hardly see a guitar player live that intrigues me anymore...i have seen the worldwide competition on YouTube...thats what national heroes have to compete with. id assume that thats the same for peeps watching my gigs.
    In general...in my country...people dont come out to see live music..let alone pay for it.
    I do a weekly with a harmonicaplayer, this dude gets calls from top producers If stevie wonder cant make it...toured with people probably anyone who reads this has a couple of albums in their collection......and we have 40 people in the club on a very good day. Ironicly 60% of those are expats or foreign students.