When was it not an exciting time to be a guitar player?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Dan Desy, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Moose Studio

Moose Studio Member

Now. :(

I think I am bitter though and my opinion shouldn't count.

2. WBellman

WBellman Supporting Member

There's a clip from many years ago of him and Shawn Lane playing Let it Be that is ridiculous. Found it. Solos start @ 3:50 Lane was one of the few guys that Gilbert was terrified of.

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

JmpOne and PaisleyWookie like this.
  3. panther_king

panther_king Member

Bro...

Just pick a year, and do a google search.

1997:

Radiohead: OK Computer
    Foo Fighters: The Colour and the Shape
    Blur: Blur
    Deftones: Around the Fur
    The Offspring: Ixnay on the Hombre

None of that is 'rock' enough? I mean, Korn may not have been your thing, but it wasn't 'forgotten', and most certainly was rock.

Also, Guthrie Govan isn't really what you think Guthrie Govan is. Just pick any music store and start asking people what they think of The Aristocrats, or how Erotic Cakes shaped their style. If you get answers from more that 25% of people that isn't a quzzical look, or an audible 'huh?', I'd be surprised.

Don't drink the confirmation bias on this site. Asking people about gear and guitar players here is like asking a Star Wars forum what they thing about lightsabers. Everyone is going to say 'so cool!', but plenty of people will start going on about how certain combat styles are superior as they push up their glasses, totally forgetting the fact that it's all opinion because it's all made up in their head.

Anacharsis and ejecta like this.
  4. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

Ah man. Shawn Lane. What a terrible loss. Such an amazing talent gone way, way too soon.

WBellman likes this.
  5. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

I've always heard of him but never listened to him. There was like this wave of shredders doing bluesy things back in the day that never quite spoke to me. Some of the runs in that "Let it Be" are just outlandishly ripping :rotflmaoMaybe just a hair OTT in comparison to what the original songwriter's intention were
    :crazyguy:anon
    but still fun as h#ll to listen to, nonetheless.

ejecta likes this.
  6. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

Agreed. All those who sing the praises of grunge for wiping out the excess of 80's guitar showmanship fail to realize the huge impact that had in terms of guitar as a primary instrument in popular music. The demise is real, anyone who says no simply didn't live through the 80's or earlier to experience.

7. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

I was a court musician in a past life (preferred the term minstrel at the time). Suffice it say, in 1532 or so, it was all about the lute.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    rickboot, vinceh and JiveTurkey like this.
  8. mobius

mobius Member

Those were tough times to be sure, but tough times often give rise to amazing musical and artistic expression. In the 40's, it was the birth of bebop, and I wouldn't mind rubbing shoulders with the likes of Bird, Gilespie, and Monk.

Imerkat likes this.
  9. mobius

mobius Member

i'll take an Oud-playing Prince of Persia type. :)

You never knew how the fortunes of the court minstrel might change with the wind... Not a lot of job security, and getting "fired" had a whole different meaning. The wailing, the gnashing of teeth... Great times, great times! :D

JiveTurkey likes this.
  10. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

Yesterday

Nothing exciting happened for me musically yesterday.

11. ejecta

ejecta Member

Oh no some of us like myself who cut their teeth during the 80’s get it but we welcomed the death nail grunge drove into the heart of the overly vapid nonsense the 80’s rock guitar world had turned into by the late 80’s. I still love some of the 80’s music a lot and listen to it but just like I like cheeseburgers I don’t want to eat them everyday just like I don’t dine on 80’s music everyday. There’s great music in all periods of rock.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  12. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

Hmmm... I lived through the 80's in the same town and sometimes in the same band ;-). I dont see it that way at all. The only thing grunge did was shift the focus from proudly (and many times inanely) Shredding to the girls in the front row to staring at your Doc Martens and playing shorter sloppy leads. Grunge was absolutely guitar music, just like the punk rock that inspired it which was also a reaction to the excesses of the 60's guitar heroes. It didn't kill the guitar. I just think rock ran its course and has now joined the bargain bin of formerly popular music like blues and jazz. Napster didnt help either by devaluing music by making it essentially free. This forced record labels to downsize and only bet on "sure things" which ultimately led to massive homogenization that favored pop and EDM. Just my .02

13. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

During the disco era. The music sucked, it was everywhere, bars put in mirrored globes, fancy lighting and large dance floors and removed the stages where musicians once played.

14. JiveTurkey

Yeah. Nile Rogers. Ewww. :messedup

15. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Local, gigging musicians took a hit for the reasons listed in my post.

At least you live up to your screen name.

JiveTurkey likes this.
  16. JiveTurkey

:rotflmao

There were musicians in disco bands, fyi. Excellent musicians for what it's worth. Sorry; I'm biased :anon I love Earth Wind and Fire, Kool and the Gang, The Bee Gees, etc.

17. WBellman

WBellman Supporting Member

Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of Time is the Enemy. Your life will never be the same.

JiveTurkey likes this.
  18. hippietim

hippietim Member

Well, it wasn’t a good time to be a guitar player before it was invented.

19. rickboot

rickboot Supporting Member

Quite right. Have and off night and it goes from fair maidens to the Iron Maiden.

mobius likes this.
  20. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Again, local gigging musicians took a hit. Concentrate, if that's possible...if...