When you sell/trade/buy your guitar, how do you ship it?

andrewnielson

Hey guys,
I'm interested in how you all ship your guitars when you sell or trade them?
what kind of packaging and protection do you use?
interested in all opinions please!!

Braciola

Gold Supporting Member
I always take pictures of the packing process with all the gear I sell.
In the event something gets damaged by the shipping company, I have the pictures as proof of adequate packing.
BTW, I have been using FedEx for years without a single problem.

Here are some pictures I took of the last guitar I shipped, hope this helps.........

First make sure the guitar is secure in the case and will not move around......

DSCN0032.jpg

A nice thick piece of styrofoam cut to fit the bottom of the box.....

DSCN0001.jpg

Layers and layers of bubble wrap......

DSCN0039.jpg

DSCN0040.jpg

DSCN0050.jpg

More styrofoam packing inside the box........

DSCN0060.jpg

Then for good measure, fill the remaining spaces with popcorn (this also makes for a nice messy unpacking, LOL!)

DSCN0064.jpg

DSCN0066.jpg

DrPCR

can you come over and ship my guitars for me??

great job there and yeah take pics

I learned the hard way, not from the shipper but from a buyer who was trying to rip me off after he damaged the guitar when he got it. I didn't take pics during the packing, no I do with date stamp and even the newspaper beside it, so it shows exactly how it left my possession

matte

In the event something gets damaged by the shipping company, I have the pictures as proof of adequate packing.

Here are some pictures I took of the last guitar I shipped, hope this helps.........

DSCN0032.jpg

DSCN0001.jpg

DSCN0039.jpg

DSCN0040.jpg

DSCN0050.jpg

DSCN0053.jpg

DSCN0060.jpg

Then for good measure, fill the remaining spaces with popcorn (this also makes for a nice messy unpacking, LOL!)

DSCN0064.jpg

DSCN0066.jpg
this deserves to be a stickie.

reentune

Silver Supporting Member
Excellent packing.
Leave out the peanuts and it's perfect (use some crumpled newspaper or packing paper instead).
I can't tell you how many packages have arrived as I'm walking out the door, and after I unpack, I have to sweep, vacuum, and change clothes.
Man, I hate Styrofoam peanuts!

But, yes, sticky this.

Braciola

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks guys.
You should see how I pack an amp, LOL!.......just part of my OCD I guess :crazyguy

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
Braciola, I do the same as you, except I double box as well. You never know what will puncture the first box and let something drip in there - better for it to hit another box than your bubblewrapped case.

The folks at FedEx Ground told me they actually ship heavier and bigger things CHEAPER than small tiny things, at least in ratio. So a shoebox with shoes in it might cost 12 bucks, but a bass amp double boxed would cost 35 bucks. So you actually save on shipping by bulking up on the packaging!

justonwo

Platinum Supporting Member
I basically do what Braciola does, except that for international shipping via USPS Priority, the size limitations can make it impossible to use a lot of packing material. The length + girth limitation to many countries is very close to the dimensions of a tightly packed guitar.

BSHARP

I have packed guitars much the same way, but the last few I decided to have the UPS store pack and ship them. If there is any shipping damage, there is no question in settling a claim. It costs more, but worth it for expensive guitars and amps too.

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
Wow, nice packing job. I received an amp with incredible packaging and sold it again using the exact same packaging/technique. I also keep the packaging (in particular guitar sized boxes) that I get in case I sell (which I always do...:crazy... yes, I have problems)
The last 2 (and most expensive) guitars I bought came in their G&L cases with NO surrounded packaging (just a perfectly sized box for the case) and NO supporting packing in the case. They were fine, no problems. But, I would not package like that... I don't have or play any 3 on a side, tilted headstock guitars so I think I'm lucky in that respect.

atimoc

I wish everyone packed their guitars as carefully as Braciola. I have received a couple of really poorly packed shipments, it was a miracle that the guitars were still in one piece.

Flyin' Brian

Unlike the experiences of others, I have an excellent PakMail store here in town. I simply bring my gear to them and tell them "pack and ship it". Since their resume includes shipping things like an 85 year old antique grandfather clock, I'd guessed correctly that they knew how to do it.
I always get positive feedback from buyers on how well the equipment is packed. They usually use FEDEX or UPS. As someone else mentioned, I'm pretty much convinced that packing is more important than the actual shipper. I know that TGP member TNJ has used the UPS store in his town with the same good results. It's about the people who do the packing. Do it yourself or find somebody who takes the same care (and liability).

yakyak

Silver Supporting Member
I agree with the previous posters that hate peanuts. I received a guitar the other day that was packed really well in an over sized box but the case was completely surrounded with peanuts. I got my rear eaten out by the wife when I unpacked it and spent a lot of time vacuuming the living room. I was thankful for the protection that the peanuts provided but there are other ways.

I use crumpled newspaper. I also loosen the strings and put the bubble wrap with small bubbles between the fret board and the strings. My logic is that the package vibrates around in the back of a truck all over the country. I know for a fact that the boxes are chunked around some even with "fragile do not drop" written all over the box. I do not want the frets to be damaged by the strings rubbing them or the box getting bumped.

brentrocks

Guitar Hack/Player
Double Platinum Member

DSCN0032.jpg

DSCN0001.jpg

DSCN0039.jpg

DSCN0040.jpg

DSCN0050.jpg

DSCN0053.jpg

DSCN0060.jpg

DSCN0064.jpg

DSCN0066.jpg

that is a pro pack job right there!!!

XKnight

I use FEDEX and bubble wrap the outside of the case. I use to detune the strings, but after speaking with a number of shops that ship dozens of guitars a month I decided not to detune the strings anymore since that seems to be the consensus. Also, I was recently advised not to place bubble wrap inside the case to secure the headstock, but the jury is still out on that one.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom