• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

When you sell your used for $10 less than brand new

HERSCHEL

Usually it’s an attempt to offset the rising fees, taxes, & cuts that these sites and pay services keep jacking up.
The funny things is "you" aren't entitled to have those fees offset. It amazes me how so many seem to think flipping gear from new at little, or no, loss is their gods-given right.

You "make" your money at the purchase on used gear, not at the sale.

The-Kid

Pedal Art: CIOKS/Vboutique/Providence Dealer
Vendor
And you ask $25 for shipping, so your crappy used pedal costs more than.Brand new one with free shipping.

What are you thinking here? I just dont get it. If I sell a pedal, let's say its $200 bucks new, I'm selling mine (even if its mint) for $150. Because that's what I would buy at if I was a looker. Who is gonna buy your $175 used pedal with shipping , when they can get it brand new for $199?

Why is this not obvious to people?
Flippers you encounter all the time........

This is more than a Flipper scenario this is what I like to call the Wild Dolphin scenrio..........

When swimming the used waters watch out for Flippers but most of all watch out for the pure Wild Dolphins :)

Last edited:

Flouncingfleasbag

Silver Supporting Member
Flippers you encounter all the time........

This is more than a Flipper scenario this is what I like to call the Wild Dolphin scenrio..........

When swimming the used waters watch out for Flippers but most of all watch out for the pure Wild Dolphins :)

Hahaha...my friend/ music partner I'd obbssed with dolphins, he pit a figurine on his car of a dolphin, hood ornament. other band mate calls our pedal set ups the Octopus.

Flouncingfleasbag

Silver Supporting Member
I think he’s saying you can ignore it and focus your attention on other things. There are MANY things in the world that make no sense, and trying to figure them out is just a time sink.
Nah... I'm gonna shame people. Shame on you! Hahaha! And you are not good at math of you do this.

mattthehoople

People pay ridiculous amounts of money for things, its crazy to me. But it makes the world go round I guess. I always keep the pedals that don't work out for me, and give them as gifts to guitar player friends or family.

The-Kid

Pedal Art: CIOKS/Vboutique/Providence Dealer
Vendor
Not the point at all. You are missing the simple math, used pedal $175 + $15 shipping
New pedal $199 Free shipping... um...
I think he’s saying you can ignore it and focus your attention on other things. There are MANY things in the world that make no sense, and trying to figure them out is just a time sink.
Essentially it boils down to opportunity cost. Many don't understand when selling or buying, thats why you get prices that go against reason because common folks on average don't have an understanding of it.

I will refer to this new spike in irrational prices as "Dolphin Culture" and those in it "Wild Dolphins" sellers or buyers.......not yet domesticated into being Flippers.

People in general and on average don't understand basic opportunity cost, they just see or buy something for a "lower price" regardless when it's not even a real lower price(especially as one can get a 15% discount new)...and that's why you have some people who despite that still buy used at weird prices because they don't understand opportunity cost.......

Both the seller and buyer feed and play into the Dolphin Culture and are about it in this sense. Its just a part of the market and maybe more prevelant now as you have a bunch of people selling and buying in a market probably many for their first time. So in this sense given the influx and amount of green people in the market and how big Reverb is and similar places in the market have gotten.....Wild Dolphins or the amount of them has certainly increased.

So dude is right......people will do as they do.....because some just really don't know all that better, its common and pretty normal in general. For the time being this phenomenon is here to stay in that sense and well I agree it sucks but as long as your aware of it that's all anyone can do in regards to the market.

Last edited:

Flouncingfleasbag

Silver Supporting Member
Essentially it boils down to opportunity cost. Many don't understand when selling or buying, thats why you get prices that go against reason because common folks on average don't have an understanding of it.

I will refer to this new spike in irrational prices as "Dolphin Culture" and those in it "Wild Dolphins" sellers or buyers.......not yet domesticated into being Flippers.

People in general and on average don't understand basic opportunity cost, they just see or buy something for a "lower price" regardless when it's not even a real lower price(especially as one can get a 15% discount new)...and that's why you have some people who despite that still buy used at weird prices because they don't understand opportunity cost.......

Both the seller and buyer feed and play into the Dolphin Culture and are about it in this sense. Its just a part of the market and maybe more prevelant now as you have a bunch of people selling and buying in a market probably many for their first time. So in this sense given the influx and amount of green people in the market and how big Reverb is and similar places in the market have gotten.....Wild Dolphins or the amount of them has certainly increased.

So dude is right......people will do as they do.....because some just really don't know all that better, its common and pretty normal in general. For the time being this phenomenon is here to stay in that sense and well I agree it sucks but as long as your aware of it that's all anyone can do in regards to the market.
Dolphins are bad at math is what you are saying. But they are food at clicking sounds. It's not Calculus.

Edoardo_P

The funny things is "you" aren't entitled to have those fees offset. It amazes me how so many seem to think flipping gear from new at little, or no, loss is their gods-given right.

You "make" your money at the purchase on used gear, not at the sale.
Yeah. You could spend your day naming 200-$ things that are worthless from the moment you walk out of the store.

But for some reason, the guitar pedal you paid 200$ for (including fees, taxes and shipping) MUST be worth 150$ + +/- shipping "because fees" to anyone? Barely used or not, do you realize you are SOME RANDOM guy I am dealing with, and most likely wasting my time on, talking shipping?

You gotta understand I have NO IDEA why you really wanna get rid of that pedal.

Either you are selling at THE price for which we all know I could find it used at a brick & mortar store, or I won't bother.

I buy everything knowing that if I ever wanted to flip, I'd have to "pay" the fees and the shipping one more time. Yes, buying a pedal will imply losing half of what I paid. You know it when you buy it. Why is it so hard to get.

jlectka

Silver Supporting Member
Couple thoughts....
If someone asks too much for something and no one buys it, there ya go. Clearly no one thought it was worth that.
If someone asks too much for something and someone buys it, there ya go. Clearly someone thought it was worth that.
Free market.

Trending Topics