• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

When you sell your used for $10 less than brand new

Sp8ctre

I've had quite a few items bid up over the price of new on eBay. I don't know why people do it, but they do. And they have always paid with no issues...

billbfoot

Wrong because that is a lazy and inaccurate statement.
“A lazy and inaccurate statement”? I don’t quite get it...

A key feature of capitalism is the motivation to generate profit.

On a related note, a free market system implies that the parties engaged in a transaction, the buyer and the seller, are able to transact freely.

So, while we can question or criticize the motivations, wisdom, etc. of a seller and/or buyer engaged in a transaction, if there is mutual agreement by both parties on that transaction, then the parties have the freedom and prerogative to transact as they wish.

Not sure I understand why citing capitalism is “lazy” or “inaccurate” here?

Edoardo_P

Well I'm tired of buyers who think they're entitled to save $50 on a pedal that's in perfect condition just because it's been opened and played a few times. They're not cars.
in case you are serious, why should we treat used gear any differently?

Vintage cars appreciate as well, but people do know that, once they drive out of the dealership with a "normal" car, they lose VAT/tax and a chunk of money. That's the way of the world. I
can't understand why it's not the same with pedals.

Also, online retailers have to have ridiculously generous returns options. You don't like it, you return it.

You haven't returned it in 2 weeks? I cannot assume the pedal has been "opened and played a few times". Why would I?

Edoardo_P

Most people selling used pedals aren't businesses, they are just hobbyists who have been turned down by a business that offered them way less than they'd hoped to "make" and don't wanna feel "burned" after having gotten bored with their toy.

You wanna turn a profit, you open a FFFFin business.

You eat the fees, you don't make the customers feel like they are paying your fees because that's the competitive thing to do, you eat the shipping costs because that's the competitive thing to do, you offer discounts because that's the competitive thing to do, and most of all, you pay taxes on your "margin" and you handle it seriously because your lifelihood depends on it.

That's how capitalism works baby. Gear nerds turning into inexperienced salesman cos there may be 20$ at stake is a sad thing to see.

Last edited:

ndparse89

in case you are serious, why should we treat used gear any differently?

Vintage cars appreciate as well, but people do know that, once they drive out of the dealership with a "normal" car, they lose VAT/tax and a chunk of money. That's the way of the world. I
can't understand why it's not the same with pedals.

Also, online retailers have to have ridiculously generous returns options. You don't like it, you return it.

You haven't returned it in 2 weeks? I cannot assume the pedal has been "opened and played a few times". Why would I?
Because cars have a lifespan, long-term maintenance costs, and major safety implications. Guitar pedals do one thing - make a sound. And if you take care of them, there's a good chance they'll keep making that same sound for the rest of your life. If it's not being gigged and stomped on night after night, how is it any different than one right out of the box?

Last edited:

Edoardo_P

Because cars have a lifespan and major safety implications. Guitar pedals do one thing - make a sound. And if you take care of them, there's a good chance they'll keep making that same sound for the rest of your life. If it's not being gigged and stomped on night after night, how is it any different than one right out of the box?
Why would i have to assume the best-case-scenario? You never had a pedal fail on you? Unlike cars, pedals dont come with a mileage.

Flouncingfleasbag

Silver Supporting Member
“A lazy and inaccurate statement”? I don’t quite get it...

A key feature of capitalism is the motivation to generate profit.
On a related note, a free market system implies that the parties engaged in a transaction, the buyer and the seller, are able to transact freely.

So, while we can question or criticize the motivations, wisdom, etc. of a seller and/or buyer engaged in a transaction, if there is mutual agreement by both parties on that transaction, then the parties have the freedom and prerogative to transact as they wish.

Not even the point. I talk about people being bad at math and you into the same old ,tired " its capitalism" routine. Yawn. It's not capitalism, you are over shooting, double doinking, missing the point.
where oh where are ya selling? I can't find ya...
Its in the emporium

Last edited:

Flouncingfleasbag

Silver Supporting Member
All the nonsense about the condition and capitalism. Please. What world are you living in. This is basic arithmetic. If your used pedal cost more, the same, or slightly less than the new one - what are you thinking? No one us gonna buy that who isn't a dummy. That's all- save the long winded whatever malarkey you are spewing for a thread that isn't this one and read the room. Too harsh? Maybe. Reading is hard, I guess.

casiotone1331

Because nobody can put a dollar amount on the amount of enjoyment they got out of it before they sold it. If I buy a $200 pedal and jam on it for a few weeks before deciding to part with it... I don't expect to get anywhere close to what I paid. I had my fun and that was worth losing 20-30% on something I bought, just to see if I'd like it to begin with.

It's not rocket surgery, depreciation is real. Would you want to buy a floor model for the same price or more than a nicely stocked and packaged piece? Of course not. Most of the people defending this greedy behavior would never return the favor if they were the buyer.

People that list close to new or more than new, I would take a wager that a majority of those listings are indicators of severe buyers' remorse.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
It works both ways. Sometimes supply doesn't keep up with demand and prices go up. Sometimes there's a glut and prices go down. And sometimes people see the shortage prices and try and match them in glut times. There's a lot of psychology around what pedals sell for both ways. If you've got patience you can sometimes get shortage prices when it's not really by someone not paying attention...

billbfoot

Not even the point. I talk about people being bad at math and you into the same old ,tired " its capitalism" routine. Yawn. It's not capitalism, you are over shooting, double doinking, missing the point.
I actually wasn’t making the assertion about capitalism... I was instead questioning your impulsive and dismissive response to the person who did make that assertion.

You’re right, though... reading is hard.

Flouncingfleasbag

Silver Supporting Member
I actually wasn’t making the assertion about capitalism... I was instead questioning your impulsive and dismissive response to the person who did make that assertion.

You’re right, though... reading is hard.
All tight. We dont need to reinvent the wheel here. My impulse, , as you call it, is simple and logical. Being a contrarian is fun, I get it, but I am calling spades, spades and not into shoveling bull turd.

Trending Topics