• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

When you were in high school....

ieso

About how many students were you aware of that played guitar? I went to a school with about 700 students back in the early 80s and I knew of, maybe, 5 or 6 other kids who played.

I was talking to my son who attends a school of about 1000 and he said he had no friends that played but that he could think of maybe 9 or 10 in the whole school who played.

Was a big deal in your school or just a 1% or less thing?

micycle

I had about 1000 kids in my school and there were maybe a dozen or so of us in my age group who played beyond dabbling around a few basic chords or popular riffs. There were always the 1-2 older guys who were essentially the Eddie Van Halens of the school with the cool hair who did the talent shows and all of that good stuff.

That was the late 80s. I would imagine with how cheap and accessible gear is these days the number would be a lot higher.

27sauce

Mid '90's. We had a guitar program at my school. Probably 60 students in s semester, we'd do gigs. Coffee house gigs, school district gigs opening for guest speakers.

Besides that, we had 10-15 active bands that the school and community would support.

At the end of every grading period we'd have a concert on that friday. You could go home early, or attend. It was pretty great. Punk, metal, jam bands, hip hop, blues...quite a variety.

It was a pretty fun school all around. 400 in my class, and the whole 4 years felt like the last week of school. You know that vibe?

Funky54

Weird stats...
I was in high school in the late 80's and a small graduating class of 71 kids. I can think of at least 7 kids in my class who played at least some.

Probos

Silver Supporting Member
I went to HS in the early 80's -- Don't have an actual number of how many but there were several guys knew/knew of that played guitar. It was a great time to be in a band. For guitar at the time it EVH, Andy Summers, Randy Rhoads, Dave Murry and Adrian Smith of Maiden were guys most copied.

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
Early 70's, 400 students total in the high school across 4 years.

I would guess that at around 20% could play the guitar to some degree.

Probably 7% could play at least well enough to get through some songs recognizably while playing in time.

Maybe 4% were reasonably good to very good.

-bEn r.

Peteyvee

Premium Platinum Member
In the early 70s, we had 983 kids in our graduating class (about 3000 total enrollment) and I'd say about 15-20% played a musical instrument, mostly guitar. We had bands all over the place and some of them were quite good, like the bands I was in, the bands Alex and Nels Cline were in and of course, the band we were all in together. Some of them (like The Germs) sucked too, but at least they tried...

BobK

65 to 70, about half of the guys, and all of my friends, tried to play. A few of them could.

loudboy

I had 243 in my class.

As far as serious players - I played guitar, we had a fantastic bass player. There may have been some other players, but no one who was good enough or dedicated enough to play in a band.

The classes below and above me each had a handful of people who could, and did play in bands.

None of the people in the official school music program had the desire or the chops to play in a band.

My town was about 10,000 people and there were always 3-4 decent bands around, altho most had some players from other nearby small towns.

From 8th grade on, I always managed to be in a band, gigged pretty steadily and had a nice rig by the time I was a sophomore - all paid for with gig money. Gibson SG > 1973 Marshall 50W head > 1968 basket-weave 4x12.

Tweed335

I grew up in Webster Groves, an artsy suburb in St. Louis, and it was the kind of school where theater, art, and music were revered more than athletics.

I had always wanted to play guitar and when I got to high school, they offered a guitar class. Long story short,probably about 10% could get around the guitar a little, then a few that were really good.

starkd12

I just graduated. Maybe 2000 kids in my school. I knew of maybe 20 or so who said they could "play" guitar, but that's just basic chords. I knew of maybe five or six who were actually pretty good. I live in Nashville, so that number is probably a little inflated

ELmiguel

I grew up in a Los Angeles suburb and graduated in 1969. There were 3 performing guitarists at my H.S. I played in bands with all of them. There may have been a couple of guys who had a guitar but couldn't really play it, but I didn't know them. My H.S. had about 700 students when I went there.

s2y

Late 90's. Very small high school. About 3-4 guys played an instrument outside of marching band per class. I'm probably the only the only one in my class that still plays.

chrisr777

The 70's and probably twenty to twentyfive played fairly well. A few very well. I wasn't one. At the time I was mostly a drummer except that I used guitar mainly to write music.

ZeyerGTR

Late 80s, there were quite a few. Each class was about 500 students, I probably knew 6-8 or so that played guitar. A few of them were really good and by the end of high school they were giving lessons in local music shops.

winterblu

Silver Supporting Member
'68-71, quite a few played with varying levels of proficiency but a couple of guys were really good and could have held their own with just about anyone.

muzishun

Maybe 12 to 20? Quite a few for a small town.

Not me though, unfortunately I didn't play until I was 27.

Wasted time.

Early 80's, there were quite a few, Im guessing more than there would be now with the state of the music scene/business.

Kids are into rap/pop/electronica now. Not much call for guitars in that. Glad I grew up when I did.