1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

When You Wish Upon A Star

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by EricT, Dec 4, 2005.

1. EricT

EricT Member

2. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

I feel like it's half way there. The arrangement is very nice with some cool harmony, bass lines and voicings. But the feel is still a bit too stiff and studied. It needs to flow a bot more naturally. It's a very nice start though and with jsut a little more time could be a really wonderful version. BTW, I haven't played this piece in years, but it may well have been the first solo standard piece that I played.

3. EricT

EricT Member

Yeah, I agree with you. I haven't picked up my guitar in about three months, so I'm a bit rough...also, it's a pretty difficult arrangment to play, and I actually had to record it in several stages to even get a decent version down. That might be where some of the stiffness comes from.
    I just transcribed your Silent Night version, it both sounds wonderful, and is wonderfully easy to play as well. I should learn something from that...;)

4. Rid

Rid Senior Member

One of my daughters went...where is the little singing grasshopper:)
    A sweet piece for sure.

5. scottl

scottl Member

Great arrangement and playing Erik! A little more flowing as Jim suggests, but other than that it was still superb!!!

Scott

6. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

I've really been pushed into simplifying my playing by doing demo clips for the guitars we build. Most of our guitars are 6-strings, so after all these years of being a 7-string player, I'm really out of my comfort zone when I'm recording these clips. My response to that has been to put more focus on tone and emotion and less on technique and knowledge. I think that's been a good thing and has positively influenced all of my playing rather than just hose moments when I'm trying to show off the guitars.

7. EricT

EricT Member

Thank you Rid and Scott. It means a lot coming from two great players as yourselves!

That's most definitely a good thing:)