When your musical heroes get it right - Peter Hook & the Light

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by deeohgee, Feb 21, 2015.

1. deeohgee

deeohgee Member

Having grown up listening to Joy Division and New Order and learning Peter Hook's bass lines as a budding guitarist (30 years ago) I bought a ticket to see Peter Hook & the Light.
    In my mind he was the musical heart of both Joy Division and New Order so it was with great anticipation and a little trepidation it I went last night.
    The tour was billed as opening with a 30 minute set of Joy Division material followed by the Low Life & Brotherhood albums performed in their entirety plus singles from that period.
    I thought - if they can pull it off that will be a great show.
    What they actually played was as close as I could possibly conceive as my ideal JD/NO setlist:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The New Order set was great but the Joy Division set was remarkable, Hooky nailed (without imitating) Ian Curtis' delivery.
    The highlight was Hooky dedicating "Atmosphere" to Tony Wilson on what would have been his 65th birthday, a spine-tingling performance more euphoric than maudlin.

What really struck me throughout the night was that he loves playing these songs (whereas New Order only play the "hits" these days).

Anyone else experienced their heroes doing something interesting and inspiring with their musical legacy?

2. deeohgee

deeohgee Member

3. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

Wish I was there.

4. lizardville

lizardville Member

Great setlist