• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Where are my SS friends at?

AxeVictim52

Given that you had no photos to include in your post, were you intending to identify "not just [your] favourite solid state amps of all time, quite possibly [your] favourite amps of all time" in some other way, perhaps by naming them?
Sessionette ;) that's pretty much what they are called. The manufacturer was called "Award Session" but they just put the "session" badge on them and the model name is "sessionette" so... it seem redundant to put all the other variants of the "session" name when identifying them :p

ClickClack

Sessionette ;) that's pretty much what they are called. The manufacturer was called "Award Session" but they just put the "session" badge on them and the model name is "sessionette" so... it seem redundant to put all the other variants of the "session" name when identifying them :p
Aha! Sorry about that. Having never encountered that amp name in the U.S., I thought you were using the lowercase "sessionette" as a slang term for a very small/short recording session. It's good to learn new things.

Edoardo_P

British. As are H|H. Both are rare in N Am.
Using SS amps for the job that they do well (which is a lot) seems to be a notion that escapes many casual players.
Hey hey hey you just reminded that... There is yet another UK manufacturer of SS jazz guitar combos... On the tip of my tongue. Can anyone help me??? I remember browsing their site a few months ago. Super beautiful SS guitar amplifiers made in the UK. Please help, it's on the tip of my tongue

Neptical

Huge fan of the old SS Marshalls, specifically the 3210 and 3315s. I have handful of them and still can't believe how fantastic they sound.

harvey j

I've been on a real Solid State trip recently. I picked up a Marshall VS100 for $125 (CDN), then a Randall RH200SC for $150, and I'm eyeing up a Peavey Bandit 112 combo for $150 also. Once in a while it's good to remind yourself that great tone is not always based on price, or tubes for that matter.

I'm considering looking at an Orange CR120 soon, but I'd like to find one used, sub $500 (CDN).

What other SS gems have y'all been playing?
Quilter, Ampeg ss 70

AxeVictim52

Hey hey hey you just reminded that... There is yet another UK manufacturer of SS jazz guitar combos... On the tip of my tongue. Can anyone help me??? I remember browsing their site a few months ago. Super beautiful SS guitar amplifiers made in the UK. Please help, it's on the tip of my tongue
Peterson? I know a local jazz guitarist who buys up all the Peterson combos he can find, which is the reason I don't yet own one. Tiny little combo in a lacquered mahogany cabinet, with EV speakers? is that what you're thinking of?

Those things have a stunning clean tone with such unbelievably precise definition that they make the jazz chorus almost sound sloppy by comparison!

Edoardo_P

Peterson? I know a local jazz guitarist who buys up all the Peterson combos he can find, which is the reason I don't yet own one. Tiny little combo in a lacquered mahogany cabinet, with EV speakers? is that what you're thinking of?

Those things have a stunning clean tone with such unbelievably precise definition that they make the jazz chorus almost sound sloppy by comparison!
Nice to know. No, I didn't know the Peterson brand. I was speaking about Mambo amplifiers.

Man, all these solid state amps are so pricey :(

Ultra GP

Any fans of the old Peavey heads?

I've got one similar (or possibly the same, I can't remember) to that one. Not a bad amp really - especially for cleans.

Just Mike

I had a Peavey Standard head exactly like that one. I traded a blackface Vibrolux reverb for it (and a 2x15 cab) back in 1977. I was very happy at the time. I started crying about it many years later.

jalmer

I just picked up a Peavey KB100. It gives me a nice cutting full frequency spectrum clean guitar tone that works well with my multi effects box. Very nice for $55 clams. And I can run a keyboard, bass and vocals through it. Basement PA.

mad dog

Gold Supporting Member
I'm playing two, with hollowbodies and archtops only so far:
  • A late 90s Evans SE-150. 15" speaker, 150 watts. Has reverb, but I never use it. Prefer a pedal. Still has the stock 4 ohm ceramic speaker. Has a MV, but it can't be used to dial in distortion. Strange. A very rich, fine sounding amp. Best amp yet for my '60 Guild X50 with the Franz p/u (akin to a lower wind P90, but not quite the same either). Outstanding jazz sound with that combination. Very lively sound. And I plug into the 2nd input. It's a little too lively plugged into the louder input. Big volume. This one is probably my favorite of all the SS amps.
  • A DV Mark Micro 50 CMT head with a slightly oversized 1x12 pine cab from Peter Mather. With an old Alltone 1265 ceramic speaker. Same deal ... has reverb, but I prefer the pedal. Another very good jazz amp. Have to keep the bass knob down. Doesn't have the room filling presence of the Evans, but what it does have is a great sound in its own way. Smooth, warm tones.
And another SS amp with teles, a reverend guitar, baritones:
  • Quilter OD200 head, into a Pure 64 ported cab, with stock, custom made 16 ohm speaker. Best of the quilters I've owned, tried. By far. The cab is a big part of why. Small, light, unobtrusive little rig. Enormous sound for the size. That cab is magic. The MV set up on the Quilter is perfectly voiced. I use the clean channel only, channel volume pretty high, MV not high. For this perfect edge sort of sound. Great amp. I've not gigged it yet ... this would be my first choice for gigging. Minimalist, but powerful, big sound.

Last edited:

Ronnie J

I haven't owned a SS amp since I dumped my Peavey Studio Pro 30 about 25 years ago, but that's about to change.

I bought a Quilter Mach 2 10" a few days ago and eagerly await its arrival. There's literally zero available locally for me to try out beforehand so I may be rolling the dice, but after listening to every clip I could find, I'm highly intrigued. I even watched a video of a PowerBlock on an o-scope simulating power tube clipping. It was oddly fascinating to this ignoramus.

Just out of curiosity, I emailed their customer support about their choice for not using a higher-wattage speaker for the 10 incher and I got a very informative several-paragraph reply from Pat Quilter himself :) He had some very good reasons so I'm going to run the stock speaker through the wringer and see how wrong I probably am.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
If we're doing a roundup here I'll mention again that there are some killer big SS bass amps with flexible eq and voicing that sound great for guitar, at least through great speakers turned up loud to LOUD. They are heavy, usually pretty expensive, but not vintage tube amp expensive, and will totally bury the average tube combo amp.:dude
'SS doesn't cut through the mix' is a total myth brought on by weak SS amps using shoddy speakers.

bigtone23

I have a few that I love.
82 Peavey Special 130. This is such a solid amp for guitar or baritone guitar. So punchy and tight. This replaced a secession of 6-8 same era Bandits/Bandit 65s. The sweepable mid and extra power really makes this amp win over the Bandits. It's easy to dial out the honk.
78 Peavey Century 200. Easily the bass head with the most personality. The distortion circuit is amazing. Pretty cool with guitar, too.
89 Marshall Lead 12/5005. Invariably makes people double take that it is not tube. Run into a larger cab or even better-lined out into more power and a larger cab is fully JCM800-a-riffic!
---I also used to have the 30W 1x12" version, the 5010. It was also a ripping amp.

I used to have a 71 Standel C30B combo. It was killer with bass or guitar. It was solid state, but tonally very similar to a SF Bassman with a closed back 1x15" cabinet loaded with an Alnico. Had a cool grit to it when cranked up. I sold it, but do miss it.
The old 86 Gorilla TC35 was a favorite of my 80s teen years. It had a ripping 80s metal tone as long as you kept the treble knob down.

Amps I have played, but not owned, but would like to own...
Lab L5 combo. A killer sounding, well built amp.
Orange CR120 head. Cool rock head. Great dirt voicing. Also tricks people into thinking it's tube.
Marshall VS100 head. This was a popular sound of 90s metal.

Last edited:

Jim234

Thought I recognized the name. I am still rocking my Blues Cube Artist as well. Now in a stereo rig with a tube amp. Best of both worlds.
Hey @joebloggs13 yes still here and can't quite believe it. I used to flip amps like no tomorrow. But Blues Cube Artist all good. My only regret was not buying 2 BC Hots. I could have run them dirty and clean. I love that little amp, but on its own is not enough for the average gig, but in a pair would have been great.... Glad your still around.

Fatboy666

Silver Supporting Member
Marshall Lead 12
Marshall Mini Stack
Kustom 4x10 50w combo
Yamaha G50-112
couple of Sansamp FlyRigs
several Marshall MG100 heads/combo - 100w, built in reverb and chorus - $100-150 on Craigslist/FB all day long

had a Katana 100, got rid of it - too many knobs and I wasn't a huge fan of the clean sound

Trending Topics