Where are the best bargains in sub $1000 strats?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by wrxplayer, Jan 24, 2012.

1. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I don't play my strat style guitar a ton but love it when I do. I'm thinking selling it and putting some of the proceeds into a less expensive strat and the other to Mr. American Express.

My favorite strats have been a Grosh Retro Classic and a Suhr Classic. I prefer full necks but they needn't be huge. I like vintage output pickups over modern higher output.

I could deal w/ relic or not; don't really care.

Two I'm going to try to check out are the older Vintage Plus guitars from ESP and the Carvin Bolt. I've never played either. Also perhaps a G&L Legacy.

What else is out there that may be under the radar but excellent feel, tone, and value for under $1K?

2. yoyoyoseph

yoyoyoseph Member

Every G&L I've played has been a rewarding experience. George Fullerton signatures go for around $900 used and are on the boutique level IMO. You could also contract out one hell of a parts caster to your specs for that much.

3. c_mac

c_mac Member

I really like the Fender Classic Series. I've played the 50's, 60's, and 70's Classic Series Strats and liked all of them a lot.

4. mc2

mc2 Member

Be patient for upgraded MIA strats. You should be able to score them in the 550-800 range depending on upgrades, etc. You'd have enough to buy a nice pedal or two after that!

5. StanG

StanG Member

Classic vibe or the greco you sold me last year.

6. noisebloom

noisebloom Member

I've been gassing for a Classic Player 60s Strat, but if my budget was $1k, I'm pretty sure I could do better by doing it myself.

7. mixn4him

mixn4him Supporting Member

Yeah got a Classic Players 60's used at GC for $400; very nice, great neck, little clean up work on the frets and it will be a keeper..

8. SG_Seth

SG_Seth Member

Nothing wrong with a used fender American standard. Used deluxes also show up regularly in the sub $1k range.

9. taez555

taez555 Member

Build one using Warmoth or other parts. If looks don't matter, you can easily get a body and neck (exactly how you want them) for a fraction of that and spend the rest on high end pickups and still come in well under $1000.

10. Martin82

Martin82 Member

Deluxe Player Strat. Best value in a Strat.

11. Dipintoplayer

Dipintoplayer Member

You can buy American Standards below $600 now days..I recently picked up two a 86 Dan Smith American Standard with the goofy tremolo that i paid $375 for... I immediately sold it cheap for $650 shipped here on the forum ..
    The second being a 91 American Standard with a semi rare marine aqua finish maple neck with OHSC for $400....

12. tatter

tatter Member

80s Japanese Tokais are awesome :)

13. Dipintoplayer

Dipintoplayer Member

I both agree and disagree with this..The fit,finish,hardware are all excellent..

The one i owned looked better than any American Standard i have ever owned with just a beautiful tri tobacco burst finish and that showed just enough wood grain underneath ..

It played and looked perfect but i never liked the way it sounded and on models like the deluxe player,50's,60's,70's classic players and any other special issue guitar i hate changing pickups on because it seems to defeat the purpose of the guitar....

14. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

Yeah, tell me about it. The Greco sounds as good as any (as you know). Quick look today has 'em up in the $800 range now. :(

Don't supposed you decided you didn't like the one I sold you anymore, did ya?

15. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Roll your own and build a partscaster!

16. cfo_deebiedaddy

cfo_deebiedaddy Member

This: I picked up a Fullerton sig for $750 in December. I have some partscasters I really like, but my own fit and finish are miles behind G&L, and they cost me more!

17. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

I've seen used AmDlx Strats in the $800 range occasionally, and those are killer Strats.

18. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

Classic Players 60's Strat. This is an amazing guitar for the money. Easily on par with the AM Std Strats, often better....imo

19. kirkham13

kirkham13 Member

20. tnt365

tnt365 Supporting Member

American Strat for $650 all day long

G&L Legacy for around $700

Once I bought my first G&L (Legacy) about 2 months ago all I could do is ask myself what took me so long to buy one. It filled my needs and wants perfectly for a very reasonable price.