Where are the best options for stereo in my modulation section? (pedal and rack content)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BigDiceBuddha, May 6, 2016.

1. BigDiceBuddha

BigDiceBuddha Member

So I'm looking to run my effects in stereo, but I really need some help as I seem to have a lot of, yet strangely very limited, options for doing so because I'm mainly using vintage gear without true stereo input.

My modulation is all at the end of my board and into a small 2U rack, all have options for stereo, but all also have mono input. The chain goes as follows:

Maxon PH-350 (mono in/stereo out) > Boss CE-1 Chorus Ensemble (mono in/stereo out) > 90's big box DMM (mono in/stereo out > (rack) Korg SDD 3000 (mono in/stereo out) > Lexicon PCM 70 (mono in/stereo out).

So with only mono in's at my disposal, do I even have options? How would you wire that chain?

They will be going out to a '69 Vibrolux Reverb and a smaller '72 Champ.

2. augur

augur Member

Cosmichorus / Tremolessence = both inputs & outputs are stereo !

3. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Member

I would run all the pedals mono in series and run the rack units in parallel stereo. So all the pedals into the sdd3000 the direct out of the sdd3000 into the pcm70. The vibrolux has 2 inputs on each channel, right? So you could put both rack units' outputs in one channel or one in each, maybe take the delay out of the memory man in one channel and the racks in another. The champ, if it has one input, you'd need an adaptor to combine the outputs of the sdd3000 and pcm70.

That way, both rack units are stereo.

To do everything in stereo, dod made this cheap little resistive mixer that you could put in front of the champ and add the other channels of the pedals. Just run the stereo output side all in parallel to the champ.

4. BigDiceBuddha

BigDiceBuddha Member

Amazing advice, thank you. This is just what I was looking for because I couldn't solve the puzzle. The Champ has 2 inputs.

5. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

hmmmm.
    where is your dry signal in all this; is it separate?
    i'm presuming it's separate.
    if not, i'd likely retract the following:

A) i'd probably get a single rack-space mixer, serialise or parallelise & pan each effect as you wish, and send that to the 2 amps.

if i skipped the mixer, i'd do something like jackie treehorn suggests, except i'd:
    B) choose the effect whose stereo imaging i enjoyed the most, put that last in the completely serialised MONO-chain (i'm pretty sure i'd choose the pcm70 to go last), and simply send one stereo channel of the pcm70 to each amp.

you're using 2 different amps: 2 different amps can make for an interesting version of stereoisation with units (which are designed to hit 2 amps/speakers, precisely the same), which really can be great; your pcm70 is capable of fabricating its own pretty nice "stereo" field when its amplified as intended, but can def take-on new (personal) meaning when it's amplified otherwise: phase, tone, balance etc all become part of the creative frame.

BigDiceBuddha and PurpleJesus like this.
  6. BigDiceBuddha

BigDiceBuddha Member

Thank you, good advice. Does anybody have recommendations for good mixers?

7. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

in fact:
    if you do serialise the whole fx chain, meaning:
    all mono>>>final effect in stereo>>>amps

then, you really don't need a mixer..... maybe put the entire stereo output through a very, very clean, high-quality stereo volume pedal split-out to the 2 amps, and balance signal at the amps; sort through any possible grounding issues, etc, and..... boom.

BigDiceBuddha likes this.
  8. BigDiceBuddha

BigDiceBuddha Member

I like the simplicity of this idea, thanks. And really, with the last effect being the PCM 70 mainly used for reverb, which will likely to some degree always be one, this would probably be the best option.

Thanks again.

9. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Or you can do the hybrid stereo and wet/dry thing. Pick your stereo fav, agree PCM seems a natural choice there, then set up maybe one in front of it mono in series, say the chorus, then other(s) run them in mono after the stereo split going say to just the right amp. Or even DMM going left amp, Korg going right amp.

Run stereo processor if you want. Bypass it and click on one of the mono boxes and you'll be running a wet/dry rig, chorus will still be in series mono to both amps, then SDD adding a echo to right amp.