Where are the Fender Twins made at?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by clovis, Jan 15, 2006.

1. clovis

clovis Member

Hey guys,

I've noticed that Fender has moved the production of their Hot Rod Deville amps series from the US to MExico. From what I've heard, the quaility went WAY down with this too. I've been thinking of buying one of the "Twins" new from Musician's Friend. Does anyone know where these amps are made? I'm talking about this one here: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/480649/

Thanks,

John R

2. number9

number9 Member

I just installed a p-t-p board in a pretty new one for a guy (1.5 years old)...
    it says "made in corona" on it... I will not comment, as if you know the guitar
    making process there, you can draw your own conclusions as to what "made in
    corona Cali" means...

I will only say this: the PCB itself, solder traces, and parts choices on the board
    is about par for the course for them on the Twin... which is not a compliment.

I see your link has it posted for what, around $1200? Do yourself a favor, have
    someone build you a nice copy of an AB763, with four 6L6's using top of the line
    parts, hand wired, with a good cab and speakers... you can get that (sometimes
    with a lifetime warranty) for less than $1200.

I am not just saying this to be rash, I could send pics of the horror that they call an
    "AB763" circuit that was in the unit before I replaced it.

3. clovis

clovis Member

Okay....so...Where do I find someone who can build me a nice copy of an AB763, with four 6L6's using top of the line
    parts, hand wired, with a good cab and speakers... That I can get with a lifetime warranty for less than $1200?? Sounds like a nice deal...But what is it? hahaha

4. number9

number9 Member

Ugh, I am going to get slapped for plugging myself here, but

http://www.theairtightgarage.com/

I just made an AB763 by two 6L6 for a guy, cypress cab, 2x12. I do the 4x6L6, and in fact
    I have one on the bench right now that I just finished up. Look at the gallery page, 4th set of pictures for an example. That amp would be right under $1200 with ceramic speakers,
    probably right at $1200 with alnicos. And yeah, that would be lifetime warranty.

5. clovis

clovis Member

6. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Nice site and really impressive bio, #9.

jon

7. bryan83

bryan83 Member

Awww if I only knew... too late now i guess

8. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Love the look of that Spanish cedar ....

9. Tele71

Tele71 Gold Supporting Member

Hey Clovis you can check out this guy here steve@sdgvintage.com.
    Steve is currently finishing an amp for me. It will resemble a blond twin 6g8a and I'm here to tell you it's a thing of beauty. As soon as I get the OK i'll post some pics. I got the chasiss for 1150$. I already have a twin and can't wait to hear the new amp. Steve said he fired it up last night and oh baby baby!

10. number9

number9 Member

Thanks. It has a very neutral all around tone that people really like
    after you hear it. The customer that owns the 4x12 cab on the front page
    also owned (until recently :) another 4x12 cab by a famous maker... he keeps
    calling me telling me how incredible it sounds. It really is nice.

11. dzghia

dzghia Guest

Clovis do yourself a favor and get a better amp. Number9 would build you a much better amp than what you are lookig at. I don't know number9 but there are plenty of builders that make far superior products than most of the mass produced amps out there. Also, if you can get a PTP amp I would go that route. With or without a lifetime warranty if the amp ever gets put on the bench it will be a lot easier to fix. Good luck!

12. Tele71

Tele71 Gold Supporting Member

Absolutely stunning work! Beautiful! Email sent.
    P