Where are the new effect inventions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by exodus, Mar 6, 2008.

1. exodus

exodus Member

• Reverb
    • Vibrato
    • Tremolo
    • Fuzz
    • Wah
    • Delay
    • Phaser
    • Univibe
    • Flanger
    • Compressors
    • Filters
    • Chorus
    • Overdrive
    • Distortion
    • Amps-in-a-Can

Ok- so there is a very general list of the basic effects out there, in a very general chronilogical list of when they came out. (Don't slam me for it, its not the point).

I'm just wondering... is anyone out there still inventing new effects? Will this list ever grow?

2. TweedBassman

TweedBassman Member

3. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

you forgot robben ford pedals.

4. burner

burner Member

Don't forget expressive pitch shifters....like the Whammy pedal.

I think there are probably some new effects out there now but there is a fear they won't be accepted.

5. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

what about ring modulation??

6. Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite Member

I'm pretty sure Les Paul is thinking something up as we speak.

7. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

someone needs a murf.. or a freqbox

zvex has also done some cool and different stuff with his theremin plates and sequencers

8. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

talk-box maybe

freak show effects maharishi (just got one - crazy stuff)

9. Memphis

Memphis Member

Anything by Effector13 and a few bits by Death by Audio - They probably have at their heart something old, but they have mutated into something very different!!!

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I think probably anything now will be a variation, EXCEPT..in the world of synth, or modelling. The newer strats, with normal pickups but also some kind of MIDI out, or whatever it is, you can plug into a processor and change pitch, type of guitar, transfer from standard tuning so when it comes out it is open d or g, etc.

WHAT really do we want anymore? If you want a guitar that sounds like a guitar, we got that, you can also get organ-like sounds (leslie, vibe) or chorus, etc. But still somewhat recognixable as guitar.

But after all the stuff we have now, the only next step I can think of would be like those I named at the start, processing that makes guitar sound like something else.

Personally, I love the sound of guitar with all it's traits way too much to want to sound like a symphony orchestra, tuba, synth or the myriad other sounds you can generate.

What are the wildest effects that we now have?

11. tone4days

tone4days Member

while not my bag, i thought that effect controlled by a wireless ring you wear on your picking hand was kinda clever

t4d

12. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

some missing off the top of my head:
    bit reduction
    panning/multichannel spatialization (40+ years now)
    sample reordering (glitch type)/granualar synthesis
    gates/expanders/side chains (though not new by any means)
    vocoders (though these are filters and have been around for 30[!] years)

and then when you consider the control methods (such as the "wireless ring" mentioned above:
    motion trackers
    RF controllers (theremin-like, which has been around for over half a century)
    heat sensors
    CV based effects (again very old, but highly underutilized by guitarists)

now whether they will become part of mainstream effects gear (mass-produced, or commonly found boutique even) has yet to be seen. The conservative nature of guitarists, combined with the seemingly reactionary nature of many effects manufacturers ("recreate the classic sounds of XXXX") reduce the visibility of these effects.

joe

13. kstraine

kstraine Member

The FX Doctor has a cool high gain fuzzy type thing that sounds like it's bit crushing. Sounds like a video game!

14. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

Well, there are only some many things you can do to a waveform (your guitar signal). All the effects listed here are simply variations on a few simple themes - e.g., vibrato, chorus and flange are just pitch (frequency) modulated delays (chorus and flange blend in the dry signal and use very short delays, vibrato is a pure wet signal) and Univibe is a phaser (filter). So you can filter, delay, distort, compress, transpose and re-sample - plus combinations of each. Am I missing any?

15. spentron

spentron Member

A lot of things you can do fit in those existing categories, or rather they don't fit what you expect but technically are in the same class anyway. For example, in a sense all early style octave pedals are a form of distortion.
    Distortion can also do swell effects and things similar to envelope filters. At some point it might better be called "nonlinear processing" to seperate it from more typical types and also to recognize that it encompasses the majority of possible effects, everything outside the small subset of processing types that are linear. I'm not sure that some of the possibilities have even been hinted at. Nonlinear design is an extremely complex subject that is barely even touched on in standard electronics courses. It's way more than trying to sound like a tube amp or recreating the 60s.

But most guitarists are pragmatic and just want a tone that works, so they can stop thinking about it. Even more, many want equipment that is standard and accepted, because then even if the sound isn't great it tends to be beyond criticism.