Where Are The SunDragon Amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sunnyevan, Nov 1, 2019.

1. DRS

DRS Member

I wasn't aware that TGP was exclusively a SunDragon forum. Maybe some of us have more important uses for our money than seeking all those oohs and aahs as we show off our turret boards. I'm fine with a $1500 Supro if it gets me the tone I seek. And as much as I admire Jimmy Page, I'm not paying $1,000+ premium above what a turret board amp should cost for his endorsement and to further line his already golden pockets.

windjamma, 70' s Tone and jpastras like this.
  2. effectsman

effectsman Member

All of the Page hype around amps and guitars seems like a “miss” to me. They could have done what Fender did with Eric Clapton and had a few re-issue amps in a range for those looking to recreate Jimmys tones. The Tele guitar he did with the mirrors was hideous. Even as a collector I would not buy it.

3. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

Mitch Colby has a Facebook Page and on it he just announced (today) the availability of the production "Sundragon" amps.

CloneTone likes this.
  4. Catatafish

Catatafish Supporting Member

I just read about it on Jimmy's instagram. $4k after tax, WTF. If it has anything to do with Zeppelin tone I'm usually all over it but when I saw that price I got nearly as pissed at Jimmy as I was after Live Aid. I'll probably snag a Black Magick which is supposed to be basically the same sound and I see those going new for just over $1k.

ChampReverb likes this.
  5. guitarvc

guitarvc Member

Total hype. Much better amps out there that are more versatile, cut through a band mix, more gig friendly, etc...I dont see Page using a Sundragon now...He uses a Marshall (probably modded a bit for his taste and an Orange, which sound phenomenal.

Tonekat and effectsman like this.
  6. CloneTone

CloneTone Member

If I had that kind of disposable income, I wouldn't think twice about it - sold! Over time, 20 years say, the $4K one will probably appreciate faster and better than the $40K one.

I can't do either, so instead, I'm looking forward to someone making Kemper profiles, or clone/schematics to build one.

7. Sunnyevan

Sunnyevan Member

Oooph. 4k for their production? I wasn't expecting that... At that price I think I would find a vintage and modify it, or just go get a Supro reproduction.

8. Hilltopper

Hilltopper Member

Let us not bicker and argue about who buys what - this is a HAPPY occasion!

Seriously, if I could buy a brand new, specifically-optioned ‘79 Pontiac Trans Am I might give a boatload more money for it than any sensible logic could justify. Cuz it’d be one of my dreams. Same thing with these amps - love Page but I’d stop at the vintage 1624 I have or maybe a Black Magick. But some people will get the Sundragon and love it - Happy for those brothers and sisters too.

9. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

That mirror Tele is a great sounding guitar, and the mirrors come separate and don't need to be installed. In the video I watched it nailed Jimmy's early sound.
    Al

CloneTone likes this.
  10. JumpinBradFlash

JumpinBradFlash Member

They might make a nice gift for the wife?

Its Luke and RAG7890 like this.
  11. Sunnyevan

Sunnyevan Member

No ones bickering? It is indeed a happy occasion.

12. CloneTone

CloneTone Member

13. HotBluePlates

HotBluePlates Member

"L.A. Vintage Gear is offering the Owners personal SunDragon Jimmy Page amplifier."

$24.9k / $40k = ~62% of retail. If you've ever worked for an instrument manufacturer (or seen the dealer's true cost if you were on the retail side), you'll notice this is suspiciously close to the 60% average dealer-cost for gear.

If I'm cynical, I'm thinking L.A. Vintage is simply trying to move an amp that couldn't sell at its retail price. If I'm only slightly-less-cynical, I'd guess LA Vintage's owner already looked inside, figured out what the "secret mods" are, and is ready to just buy an old amp to be modded (or have a new one built for ~$1-2k.) Which also implies he "sold the amp to himself" at dealer cost of ~$25k, and is now selling the amp at "such a steep discount" and recouping all money spent.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    CloneTone likes this.
  14. l.a.vintagegear

l.a.vintagegear Member

LA Vintage Gear here . I guess you will have to keep coming up with your own scenarios or just take it as I’m asking reasonable cash for my personal MINT Sundragon as it’s tax time . But it is enjoyable to read your hypothesis

BSOD, RAG7890 and JB Eckl like this.
  15. JB Eckl

JB Eckl Member

I’ve played both the limited and production editions, and they are KILLER. Just a riot to play.

If you read up on the history of the original amp, it’s pretty weird. The amp was damaged and had parts replaced with (presumably) whatever was around at the time, and guess what? It RULED.

The idea that a respected builder was able to get his hands on the ORIGINAL and reverse-engineer it well enough to please Mr. Page is awesome. Especially since Page doesn’t need the money and is more interested in legacy.

Lighten up dudes. You’re either the target demo for this or you’re not.

JumpinBradFlash likes this.
  16. JB Eckl

JB Eckl Member

Hilarious.

17. rockabilly69

rockabilly69 Supporting Member

I've played the reissues against the originals, and it's wishful thinking if anyone thinks they are in the same league. Close, but no cigar! If I wanted vintage Supro tone and I couldn't afford a real Supro, I would buy a Dirty Girl amp by forum member EFK. Oh wait, I did, but unfortunately he is on hiatus from bulding amps at the moment, but lets hope he gets back to it, because he sure knows how to build them!!! And his amps are hand-wired works of art, with cool reconed vintage Rola Speakers that speak in the vintage Supro tongue!

18. Ron

Ron Supporting Member

Look, either they are not in the same league, or they are close. Which one is it?

JumpinBradFlash likes this.
  19. Phineas Ball

Phineas Ball Fuzz Silver Supporting Member

I love Zep, and went out and found a vintage 1624. That's as close as Im going to get.

BUT - more power to anyone who wants to go full Sundragon.

wntbtw likes this.
  20. Tonekat

Tonekat Silver Supporting Member

$4K would buy a nice Hi-Watt and OxBox, Echoplex, etc..