Where are you putting your boost?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kgmessier, Jan 10, 2006.

1. kgmessier

kgmessier Member

If you have a boost along with an od/distortion/fuzz, where are you placing your boost in relation to your other drive pedals?

- Keith

2. Baby Evil

Baby Evil Member

I've been toying with this since I got my SCP yesterday. My previous clean boost, the Tone Press, used to be first in the chain, and that worked well. When I put the SCP in its place, the other newbie on the board, Reeza, was very boomy. So, I took Nicolas' advice, and placed the SCP last, and it works perfectly.

Jan

3. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I used to run boosters before my drive pedals for additional gain, but I've since re-thought that approach. I now run it after overdrive pedals for volume boost. Ideally for me, the amp has slight breakup and I can use either the boost, the overdrive or both together to enhance the amp's sound.

Same for my compressor. I used to run it before my drive, but now I'm seeing the benefit (though subtle) of running it after.

4. TimH

TimH Member

yeah I run mine after for either more drive on the amp or more volume for my distortion pedal.

5. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I too have an SCP which I put last. I'm thinking of buying another to put first in the chain

6. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

I have a CMATMODS Phat Boost which really just phattens up the sound, my preference so far has been lasts in the chain.

7. theHoss

theHoss Member

Last in the chain. I level all my volumes, then if I want boost, I kick it on.

8. UnderTheGroove

UnderTheGroove Supporting Member

I use amp distortion a lot of the time, so I have my boost in the effects loop with my delay and tremelo. I use it for a volume boost during solos, rather than to add any gain.

9. marrelero

marrelero Member

As previous members I also hav my boost last in the chain, RC-boost. Yum!

10. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

I prefer my boost pedals (either Klon or Fat Boost) to be last in line. I find it yeilds more of a pure volume boost to the signal that way. If placed before overdrive pedals then I find that the boost pedal saturates the overdrive pedal too much and just creates more distortion rather than boosting the volume of the sound you already have.

Either way is valid and it just depends upon what sound you prefer and are trying to achieve.

11. drolling

drolling Member

I'm lucky to have old amps with no FX loops, so the choice is less complicated for me. I've also got a fair number of boost-style pedals and find they work best at the end or the beginning of any given signal chain- often both!

As a previous poster pointed out, the other pedals can sometimes dictate booster placement- I have some old fuzzes, for example, that have to be first, or they just don't work right, same with some wahs - which makes for a real pain when I want to use fuzz & wah together..

12. olectric

olectric Supporting Member

I've got an RC Booster. Right now, it is before my ODs because I really like the sound, but I may try putting it at the end of the chain, too.

13. uberschall

uberschall Supporting Member

TC Jauernig Luxury Drive Model T last in the chain; I had it before multiple OD's, but the output level could vary widely, depending on which OD's were on. My next experiment is going to be trying it in the effects loop.

14. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

15. playon

playon Supporting Member

I have the Sex Drive pedal, last in the chain.

16. DaSkip

DaSkip Member

+1 the Twin 60 is last but not least. Great pedal. :)

17. D.G.

D.G. Member

I use a Tech21 DoubleDrive after the fuzzes (keeps them away from the buffer) but before the DDSS. I'm using the boost function soley to increase gain saturation in either the DDSS or the amp (if I'm running it at the break point.) I prefer the DD to the RC for this function, but if I want a clean volume boost, then the RC gets the call. I don't have the RC on my board right now (no room) but when I do, it's post-distortion, pre-looper (DL4.)

18. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

I used to have a Sex Drive...then I had CHILDREN! :jo

*ba BOOM*

Thank you...I'll be here all nite! :D

19. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

I'm eagerly waiting for my SCP to come, should be here any day now.. I'm planning to put it last in the chain. We'll see if it's gonna be on all the time or if I'll use it as a boos. Well I bought it for the boost..

I've read that treble boosters work great in front of other pedals, pushing them even further. I guess it would be really cool to have a clean boost (like the SCP) last in the chain and a treble booster first, goosing all the other drives.

No FX loops for me as well, have a new amp but luckily it dont have one ;)

20. jgyn

jgyn Member

Zvex Super Duper 2 in 1, first in chain.