1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Where Bose L1's Shine!!!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by JDBassLIVE, May 17, 2011.

1. JDBassLIVE

JDBassLIVE Member

2. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

Good Lord.

I just deleted 8 posts that did not discuss the gear in the OP, but rather argued about the OP's right to post on that topic.

Give me a break, please.

3. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Thank you, Scott!

Nice job on the videos, JD. Interesting stuff. I own a Compact as well as a Classic, but haven't had good luck using it with a line signal. I like it fine if I just plug a mic and guitar straight in, with no outboard stuff, but I've found it clips and compresses too easily with a line signal, so I don't get the volume I'd like.

Are you running the Compact fairly quiet in your mixed setup?

I haven't tried running the Classic and Compact together, for fear of the difference in projection, but I may try it after seeing this.

4. JDBassLIVE

JDBassLIVE Member

I use a in-line -20db in line pad. On the first video where I show the Model 1 power stands you can seem them plugged into channel 2 on the end of the XLR cable. This takes the level down so it's not as hot & gives you way more headroom before compression.

5. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Ah, makes sense. I have ways to try that out...and so I shall. :)

Congratulations on taming that room! I do shows with a Native American group that does a lot of school gyms and the L1 has always performed better than our conventional stuff in that situation.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing the detailed info!

6. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

Glad they worked well. I've used them in more normal circumstances, and found that there's nothing they do that good trap boxes cannot do. I've been very disappointed in them. Given their price, I'd have to hear them excel before I could recommend them to anyone.

7. JDBassLIVE

JDBassLIVE Member

I've had the complete opposite experience with them. They have excelled in everything I've put them up to.