• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Where can a GZ30 rectifier be used?

schmerf

I've got a GZ30 rectifier I got a while ago with a high powered Tweed Deluxe to run it with 6L6 tubes. Most seem to use a 5AR4 so to be careful I took it out and used 6V6s with a 5Y3. I don't have that amp anymore and was wondering what I could use the GZ30 for?

schmerf

Doing a search here made it seem like it might be more like a 5Y3 but indirectly heated? I couldn't really figure it out.

tedwoods

I suppose a N.O.S GZ30 (and by N.O.S I mean Mullard, since these are the most well known examples of this tube) can be used in place of a 5Y3GT in most modern boutique amps that accept "multiple" rectifiers.
The Sovtek tube that is marketed as a 5Y3GT today must be built on a 5Z4GT/GZ30 platform from what I can tell by looking at the tube.
Empirically speaking, the GZ30 must be a slightly "stronger" tube than a 5Y3GT as the headroom in my amp is higher with the GZ30 than with 5Y3 type tubes.
The direct European equivalent of an indirectly heated 5Y3 type tube is the French made 5Y3GB.

SatelliteAmps

Most tube manuals state that a 5Z4 has the same qualities as a 5Y3 (regardless of where it was made). Not stronger, doesn't take more current, doesn't handle more voltage.

Trending Topics