Where can I buy the new Bill Lawrence pickups in the CS Gatton Tele?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by shallbe, Jun 5, 2008.

1. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I see the Gatton CS Tele now has Bill Lawrence pickups instead of Bardens. Doing a Bill Lawrence search is both difficult and confusing, with more than one company claiming to be the real deal.

Anyone know who is producing these pickups, and how I can get a pair for a Tele?

2. beej

beej Supporting Member

Always gets heated, but the guy that designs the pickups is Bill Lawrence:
    http://www.billlawrence.com

I doubt anyone on the planet knows more than pickups about Bill. The man is a genius and I don't use the term loosely.

He's got a variety of tele p'ups. Give it a look.

3. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

As far as I know, those pickups aren't available from Bill Lawrence, and probably aren't available from Fender individually, either.

I've heard for over a year that Bill was going to start making his dual-blade humbuckers in single-coil size again, and perhaps call them '220' pickups, but I can't tell you if they're available yet or not.

Your best bet is to go to www.billlawrence.com, get a phone number from the website, and call and ask.

4. shallbe

The dual blade bridge pickup is hsown on the site---just not the neck pickup. Anyway, I am giving them a call.

5. rooster

rooster Member

Just to clear it up, the REAL Bill Lawrence is actually the guy who's name (legally changed) is Bill Lawrence. The other guy was the businessman, not the designer. Just call Bill & Becky.

rooster.

6. shallbe

I spoke to Becky. She is waiting for Bill to give the go-ahead and they will take orders on the new dual blade Tele pickups. No date yet---she recommended I check the website from time to time.

7. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Another Barden alternative is the Haussel "Harry Barden" pickups he came out with back when Joe was out of business. They are very good sounding, with a bit less bite than the real thing, but still in the same tonal ballpark.

Don't know if Fender will go back to Bardens or not. Not taking anything away from Lawrence, but it is a Gatton signature guitar.....Bardens were a key ingredient.

I really liked the 250 dual blades that Bill offered years ago, but they did not sound like Bardens; more subdued on the high end.

8. shallbe

I've had Bardens and early Bill Lawrence pickups.

I MUCH preferred the sound and feel of the Lawrence pickups.

Not to mention that I'm not a fan of Joe Barden, the man, based upon my past dealings with him.

9. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

Another option are the billlawrenceusa single-rail pickups. They're very available, inexpensive, and sound great. Maybe something to use for a while until the new 220s are actually shipping?

I have these single-rails in 2 guitars, and really like them. Especially considering the price (about $40 ea)

10. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

Price for BL twin blades?

11. mbetter

mbetter Member

I prefer my Bardens and I've had nothing but good dealings with the guy. Maybe my experience is the exception to the rule. *shrug*

Anyways, better or worse, it seems weird to put new pickups in a dead guy's signature guitar. Might as well put a Floyd on the SRV Strat.

12. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I had a set of the "other guy's" Black Label T1 & T2 Tele pickups. I'll tell you, they were some sweet, sweet pickups. I'm thinking of another set for a project coming up.