Where can I do this?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by buffbiff21, Jan 28, 2008.

1. buffbiff21

buffbiff21 Member

Are there any custom shops that would do this? I emailed Warmoth and they don't do set neck or neck thru designs. I believe that also rules out Musikraft, USACG, etc. Here are my proposed specs:

Neck-thru mahogany body Flying V, (set neck would be my second alternative) mahogany neck, ebony board with Gibson style trapezoid inlays, flame maple top with amber finish, dual humbucker, rear routed dual tone/dual volume, three way switch, standard Gibson V headstock, string thru body (or TOM, doesn't really matter), Grover kidney style locking tuners.

As you can see, it's a Flying V imitating a Les Paul. :) I've always found the V to be the ultimate "player's" guitar, to my tastes. It looks sweet, improves upper register fret access, feels comfortable standing up (due to the strap pegs alignment) and can feel comfy sitting down too with a bit of getting used to.

I think that's about it. Anyone know where I can get an estimate on this, or will I have to take it to a local luthier or something?

2. buffbiff21

buffbiff21 Member

3. eryque

eryque Member

Soulmate can probably make a neck you want. The body is another matter.

Come to think of it, though, it would be a pretty simple project for a competent wood worker. If you made an accurate drawing to a good woodworker and asked him to make make wings to glue on to the neck you buy, I'm sure he could do it.

And if he can't, I can :)

4. buffbiff21

buffbiff21 Member

Indeed! Very similar to that one. In fact while looking on ebay those are what inspired this idea. I however would prefer Grover tuners and trans amber only, not a cherry burst. Me no like cherry burst.

I'll have to take you up on that! :D Do you do woodworking and where are you located? Thanks for the link, and WOW I like his guitars too! Nice shapes and killer inlays.

How about ordering a separate body and neck from Warmoth, without bolt-on screw holes, and then using wood glue to create an "artificial" set neck? Would this affect sustain at all?

5. syxxstring

syxxstring Member

Gene at Rhino Guitars. Rhinoguitars.com
    Too busy to hang out on the forum but a killer luthier. He just finished a lacewood junior for me. Well sort of he did the wood work I'm doing the finish.

6. RadackGuitars

RadackGuitars Supporting Member

why not get a Gibson and do the mods you want?
    you could have the top veneered with flame maple, the rest is just hardware mods?