Where can I find a quality nitro strat body?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by iamspartacus, Oct 2, 2008.

1. iamspartacus

iamspartacus Member

Hey guys, like the thread title asks: "where can I find a quality nitro strat body?". What kind of price should I expect to pay?

Basically, I've got a 40th anniversary strat w/ Antiquity pickups that just sounds dead. Strumming the body acoustically yields...duds. Even with quality pickups, I'm not happy with my tone.

Thanks a lot guys!

2. TimCz

TimCz Member

I bought a highway 1 body off Ebay. Came in perfect condition - got it for around 200.

3. iamspartacus

iamspartacus Member

cool. i remember liking the response and feel of the EJ strats that i've played on. Unfortunately, they're going for $500 on the 'bay :eek:

keep 'em coming!

4. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

For a nice two piece alder/ash body with thin nitro around $350-400. More for a Fender hot rod or EJ body off ebay. Try a search, a bunch of leads will come up.

5. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Member

You could try Reliablefender on Ebay. He's a chop shop that parts out Fenders. I bought a MIJ Strat body from him (Probably Poly, but I don't care) and he has good service.

6. Supasso

Supasso Member

Or it could be the neck. In my experience, the neck has more effect on tone than the body.

7. Yngve

Yngve Member

8. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Yeah, like another said expect to pay $350-400 on average. Also note that not all poly bodies are bad, you really have to judge bodies individually. Yes I tend to like nitro more but one of the better bodies I've played was a deluxe strat body, all poly. Some nitros will be duds too. Good luck on the hunt!

9. bouteqtive

bouteqtive Member

i just saw 2 nitro strat bodies (USA) on reliablefender go for about 180...3 color sunburst and honey blond. just be patient and youll be rewarded

10. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

11. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Before jumping to a new body, really take the time to get a great setup. An upgraded trem block to a steel one may be in order as well. Mark Jenny is some one who can help out with a body.
    mjtelecaster.com

12. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Don't assume the problem is with the body. With Strat-o-experiments I've conducted swapping necks on a half dozen Strats I had at one time, the best tone tended to follow a particular neck. This taught me to run the racks for a Strat that has "it" from the get-go rather than fool around trying to make one work. Just sayin' from the voice of experience...you can't polish a turd ;).

13. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

+1 to you and Vaughan. I do find the body to definitely contribute too, but a lot of the character of the guitar is the neck from my experience. Much more than even pickups!

14. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

15. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

Bingo.