Where can I get a Rickenbacker tailpiece?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by big e, Jan 23, 2012.

1. big e

big e Member

My Rick cast tail piece just broke (part # 1119 black). Found it on line for $150!!! This part should be about $50. Any suggestions who might have it for less $$$ ?

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Why would it be $50? Used maybe.

You can buy them directly from Rickenbacker. I think they're $175.

3. Bazaboy33

Bazaboy33 Supporting Member

Just buy a black Winfield Rickenbacker trapeze bridge off of eBay. They are easier to restring & wont break in half like the crappy "R" tailpiece. Plus, they are more vintage...

4. BigPapiFan

BigPapiFan Member

I believe that Rickenbacker will only sell you a tailpiece or a truss rod cover, if you return your original broken one.

DrumBob likes this.
  5. big e

big e Member

That's right, they won't replace a part unless you return the failed part and provide the serial number of the guitar! I'm looking at the Winfield but they don't have a harp style in black for 12 string!

6. VicAjax

VicAjax Male Supermodel

my black R tailpiece just broke too! mine is on my 1986 620. i called Rickenbacker and they said that pickofthericks.com deals with the replacement parts. and yes, they told me i had to return my broken one too.

i haven't pulled the trigger because of the cost, and also because i'm toying with the idea of replacing it with an Accent vibrato.

out of curiosity, how did your tailpiece break? on mine, one of the teeth that holds the ball of the string in place got bent so badly that it wouldn't hold anymore.

7. big e

big e Member

Mine broke on one side right where my tailpiece attaches to the holding bracket. It's a cast part and just cracked / broke and pulled the tailpiece to one side.

8. VicAjax

VicAjax Male Supermodel

i emailed Winfield awhile back and they told me they could do a black Accent, but they only black their parts in batches, so i'd have to pay in advance and wait for the next batch of black parts to be dipped.

i may just go ahead and do that. i think a 620 is really a perfect guitar for a vibrato setup.

9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

You guys must be talking about guitar tailpieces ( even still, I thought the return the old one bit was only on TRCs).

You can buy a 4001/3 tailpiece any time from the boutique at Ric.com. I assumed the guitar TPs were the same.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  10. VicAjax

VicAjax Male Supermodel

:huh

11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

9 was supposed to be (

12. Structo

Structo Member

If that's the case, they should give the failed tailpiece to you for free.
    Or just charge shipping.
    I have heard of the tailpiece breaking quite a bit so evidently it is an inferior design.
    Gee, maybe they ought to put pencil to paper and design one that doesn't cost their customer $150! <rant off>

13. JustOlder

JustOlder Active Member

Yes the R tailpiece is a bit harder for restringing. Just use a capo. Otherwise you can get the Trapeze of Ricenbackers site or if you must have the R setup. Find a used on on ebay or go here http://www.winfieldvintage.com/parts/trapeze.html. You can buy a bracket at Winfield that requires no new drill holes. Then use the trapeaze. IMO the Trapeze is the nicer tailpiece anyway. Actually you can get an R thru Winfield. After that just keep an eye for a used one on ebay. Seems odd but Rickenbacker is probably the most forged guitar on the planet. I broke my truss-rod cover once. Was just about ready to send it back to Rick and found one on ebay. Even with Rickenbacker's exchange program. They don't guarentee it will fit perfect. Or match color perfect. Besides other then playing old beatles tunes. Why do you want a Ric. They play crappy in my O. Good luck.

14. axe4me

axe4me Member

15. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

This is 100% NOT TRUE.

16. federicomcosta

federicomcosta Member

17. scottlr

scottlr Member

18. sunburst79

sunburst79 Member

Fixed that. Nothing against Rics but compared to all the Strat , Teles 335 and LP copies out there the bootleg Ric market is non existent.

While a pain in the ass Rics policy makes some sense in that it keeps copies down and protects their trademarks.

Last I checked Hipshot was making a improved Bass bridge but they don't look stock.

19. talpa

talpa Member

Just walked out to my gear storage room attached to garage - opened the case to my beautiful '80 Rick 620/12 & the bracket that scews to the body (that holds the R string retainer) had snapped. And left a 1" wide gouge in the beautiful fireglow finish & into the wood..f--k.
    No one has touched that case in months. However, the room is not climate controlled (Dallas).

Is that part (#01112) known for delf-destructing ?

20. Blue Marvel

Blue Marvel Member

I like Rickenbakers but they do remind me of the Soup Nazi. Once upon a time purchased a Rickenbacker Guitar amp that dated to 1947 and I called several times trying to get any info I could and they basically treated me like a criminal. I understand the 40s was a loooong time ago but they didnt have to be snaky with me. After that I vowed I would never own any further Rickenbacker gear again.