Where can I get a Suhr Pro?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Powderfinger, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

I'm possibly interested in a Suhr Pro. I sent an email to Suhr a long time ago asking if I could buy one direct and I got no response. (Gee, you'd think that's an email that a company would respond to). I checked a couple of online dealers who were listed and there are none available. (Indoor Storm had one which was sold). I know Suhr was making a big deal about the intorduction of the Pro as a "Suhr for the rest of us" kind of thing, but it seems odd that you can't buy one anywhere.

2. MOJO

MOJO Member

Suhr won't sell direct, i'm almost positive you have to go thru a dealer
    have you called any of the dealers..they may have some coming in soon or
    you maybe able to order one

3. John C

John C Supporting Member

Suhr doesn't sell direct; however, I'm surprised that they didn't respond to your email - usually they are good about responding, but they do have a pretty rigid spam filter.

Buffalo Bros. in Carlsbad, CA has one shown in stock on their web page:

http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/suhr.html

DISCLAIMER: I know they have a good rep among the Guitars By Leo folks for G&Ls, but I have never dealt with them. Just passing along some info.

4. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

5. Powderfinger

Are they in the process of ramping up production, or is it really the business plan to have one or two for sale in the country at any given time?

6. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I went through Tone Merchants. They are also located closest to Suhr. Noel knows his **** and is very helpfull. In my case it was a custom order Classic, I'm sure a Suhr Pro would be a slam dunk.

7. DualRectifier

DualRectifier Silver Supporting Member

Wow....they come standard with Plek, Buzz Feiten, Locking Sperzels, and good pickups...for $1,540...I might have to find me one a these...haven't seen one in Burst yet, but that Mercedes Blue looks killer...

8. big mike

I'm digging the black one myself.

9. John C

John C Supporting Member

From what I've seen posted on the Suhr forum they are ramping up production - they are building in small lots in a single color at a time (basically, shoot bodies in Ocean Turquoise, clean the spray gun, shoot in Orange Crush, etc.).

EDIT: Removed some unconfirmed information - I thought they had posted the size of their small lots, but they have not. Given their total annual production for the last couple of years has been right around 800 per year, the lots couldn't be huge. My best guess would be in the 10-20 unit range. Of course, even a run of 10 saves time over doing the custom guitars where every unit is a one-off (i.e. do a T in blonde, clean up the equipment, do a maple topped S in tiger eye, clean up the equipment, repeat 800-900 more times per year).

10. MOJO

MOJO Member

Remember also ...i believe all the bodies are routed H-S-H under the pickguards..that way if you want to change the pickup config...
    its not a big deal :dude just order a new pickguard

11. Powderfinger

A quick question about Buzz Feiten--does it make sense for me to buy a Buzz Feiten guitar if the other guitarist in my band isn't using one?

12. DualRectifier

DualRectifier Silver Supporting Member

I think the biggest benefit of the Feiten comes from playing high up on the neck. If your other guitarist's guitar isn't intonated perfectly, and yours is, you'll probably sound off if you play high up on the neck. There's much less difference in the lower positions, and no difference in open position.

13. journo

journo Member

Hi,

I don't know if it's considered "good form" to write sort of OT in another persons thread. Please tell me if I'm out of line here.

I just wanted to say that I have reviewed a Suhr Pro for swedish guitar mag FUZZ and I must say it would be worth your while to track one down. I have a Suhr Classic and the Suhr Pro I played was every bit as nice albeit with set features. If the guitar I reviewed hadn't already been sold I probably would have bought it.

Cheers,

Mats N

14. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

It's a great guitar. I have one, which is serial 0002 from Namm. It plays amazing and sounds incredible. The trem bridge is very smooth and stays in tune. It's an incredible bargain IMO. BTW, I might be selling mine soon (or trading for a set neck HB guitar), but only to satisfy my GAS. If i could justify it, I'd keep it.

15. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

Buffalo Bros is a kick ass shop to deal with...very knowledgable, honest people with a staggering inventory (albeit largely on the acoustic side..) They've got a 100% upgrade policy - buy that $1500 Suhr, play it for a year, go back and trade it in on a new guitar of higher value and they will give you 100% what you paid for the Suhr (as long as it doesnt look like it was dragged behind a truck...) Awesome deal. I've bought several guitars from them for just that reason alone.

Steve E

16. dookie

dookie Member

That spam filter has kicked me off a few times until I called to make sure my email address was accepted...

+1 for Tone Merchants... I was just there on Saturday and they have one... It plays just like you would expect any Suhr to play... Noel is super cool to deal with... Very friendly guy that knows his stuff...

17. rhollyday

rhollyday Silver Supporting Member

I have Serial # 3, Orange Crush which I bought at The Guitar Hanger in Brookfield, CT this past winter.

Comparing it to my classic T it appears equal in build quality. I may consider selling it, as my preference is for a slightly brighter guitar with maple fret board. But, this one plays great.

18. big mike

Love to see a pic. Sounds like an interesting color.

19. FLOWMUSIC

FLOWMUSIC Member

Do you still need a Suhr Pro?

20. sysexguy

sysexguy Member

For all Canadians looking for a Pro Series, we have 2 in stock, one in Orange Crush and the other Sunburst. An Ocean Turquoise and Olympic White are in the order queue. I need to get pics up on the site but feel free to pm me in the interim. ....and they won't cost a penny more than getting one from a dealer in the USA.

Andy