Where can I get "solderless" connector parts?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by jumpskirt, Apr 20, 2008.

1. jumpskirt

jumpskirt Silver Supporting Member

I am frequently swapping out pickups in my LP's. I am thinking that installing solderless connectors to my volume pots would be a *brilliant* idea - I can just clip in pickups when I make changes (after soldering the connectors, of course).
    Acme guitar works has these connectors; however,I have heard dismal reports of Acme's service of late. I've used Acme before, and they do great work. They're going through a rough time now, and turnaround time is down the tubes. I don't relish the idea of an order hanging in space for several weeks.
    Here's what they have:
    http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/Solderless_Pin_Socket_Pair_P1703C13.cfm
    Does anyone know of another source for connectors like these?

2. Jef Bardsley

Jef Bardsley Member

Inline RCA connectors work well. An auto-stereo store might have what you need.

3. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

Yep, I thought of this and figured I made a great discovery. I was thinking of using the small connectors you see in computer builds. Those or any pin/barrel connector should work.
    Then I saw an EMG ad. They've been doing it for years.

I still think it's a great idea. The mfg's should agree on a standard connector. I really believe they'd sell more pickups if they did.

4. Cobra

Cobra Supporting Member

Try going to a hobby shop where they sell parts for remote control airplanes & cars. You'll be amazed at the variety & diferrent size connectors available. Some are really tiny, but there are other good sizes for pickup swap applications. If you want to find them online, start researching the RC sites for the manufacturers, & check 'em out on Ebay.

5. jumpskirt

Thanks for the suggestions!

6. syxxstring

syxxstring Member

Go to a hobby shop and get mini Deans connectors.
    They are lossless for battery connections. (zero resistance)

[​IMG]

7. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

+1 for the mini Deans connectors. You can also find their equivalent in electronics stores (usually called pin & socket connectors) as they are also used to connect electronic and computer components.

8. jefesq

jefesq Gold Supporting Member

Radio shack
    www.mouser.com
    marine supply stores have crimp connectors with shrink wrap

9. Blue Bee

Blue Bee Member

bump for more input. ive been wanting to do this for years.

10. jumpskirt

I asked this question on another forum, and this looks like another good option:

"[FONT=Verdana, Arial] Go to Hobby Hangar (Chantilly VA) and pick up some mini power connectors. These are used in the micro-RC hobby to connect batteries and servos. They are small, high-quality, and not expensive at all.

The only limiting factor is they are two-conductor. If you're using a 4-wire humbucker, you'd need a pair of them. Each connector is actually two parts (male and female).

They're usually sold in pairs. The link below shows the "male" connectors. You need a matching pair of female connectors too.

These are made specifically for high-cycle use in vibration environments, so they won't break or wear out.

They are perfect for your application. Don't waste money on fancy gold connectors sold by guitar parts retailers.

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial]Like these. "[/FONT]