where can i learn to play jazz and classical on the internet

jasonbrann

i'm pretty proficient at the guitar in the styles of folk, rock, and blues, but my understanding of jazz and classical are both lacking. i took some classical lessons in college, but i can just barely read and don't know many songs. same with jazz. i understand modes, although i almost never play in them, and know next to nothing about chord substitution or which scales to play over which chords. mostly, though, i'd like to build up a repertoire in both categories, starting with easy songs and moving to harder songs. where are the best places to learn on the net for each respective field?

Last edited:

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
As we say in the biz 'what kind of budget do you have?'.
Books are still great resources!

M

Member 995

Books are still great resources!
Yep! And libraries sometimes even have good ones. :)

For classical, you might check out "Pumping Nylon" for developing technique. Joseph Harris put out a bunch of great books in notation and tab that you could develop repertoire. They are like $8 to $12 on Amazon. "Classical Guitar of Fernando Sor," "50 Favorites by 26 Composers," "Classical Guitar of Bach," etc.

I do think you'll want to learn to read standard notation (it opens up the world!), but there is a lot out there in tablature.

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
Yep! And libraries sometimes even have good ones. :)

For classical, you might check out "Pumping Nylon" for developing technique. Joseph Harris put out a bunch of great books in notation and tab that you could develop repertoire. They are like $8 to $12 on Amazon. "Classical Guitar of Fernando Sor," "50 Favorites by 26 Composers," "Classical Guitar of Bach," etc.

I do think you'll want to learn to read standard notation (it opens up the world!), but there is a lot out there in tablature.
Just 'cause it's free doesn't make it good, does it? Anyway it's more fun to read a nice print copy of something than a ripped-off sloppy PDF

fuzz_factor

Silver Supporting Member
Speaking of paying for things (sorry to hijack), I have a bunch of PDF fakesbooks (along with printed ones). One that I have electronically is called Jazz LTD. It has a bunch of bop, hard bop, post-bop, etc. tunes that the Real Books shy away from. In fact, the subtitle is 500 Songs the Real Books Missed.

Anyone know where I can buy a printed copy? No luck when I checked Amazon and eBay.

eflatminor

For playing jazz, I like the 'play-a-long' recordings from Jamie Aebersold:

http://www.jazzbooks.com/mm5/#

You get CD with a trio (usually a good one!) playing standards or music of a particular artist (Miles, Coltrane, etc) and a book showing the chords you'll be attempting to play through. In other words, you get to play the head (the main melody) and practice improvisation through the chords.

They won't TEACH you how to play through the chords, but they're sure an excellent source to practice by. They even include a pitch at the beginning of each CD to make sure you're in tune with the band. A very helpful...and fun...tool for jazz.

GuyBoden

i'm pretty proficient at the guitar in the styles of folk, rock, and blues
Listening to recording of your fav Jazz artists over and over again, will get the sound of your fav Jazz into your ears, IMHO if you don't hear Jazz internally you'll never be able to play the music.

But what do I know, I'm just a hobbyist........................................
Guy:cool:

KRosser

For classical, you might check out "Pumping Nylon" for developing technique.
Absolutely, I highly recommend it.

For a more beginning level with a great thorough attention to detail and a highly regarded reputation in 'the field' - the Aaron Shearer methods, "Classic Guitar Technique" (there are two volumes)

Steve73

But if its free, it can't be any good.

But, if it's a book, it must be good.

But if it's a free book, it's good and no good at the same time!

:confused: ;)
Socratize it!!

I just wanted to add that for jazz, attentive listening is a big part of learning it. Swung 8th's and phrasing are hard to learn from a book.

dlguitar64

Listening to recording of your fav Jazz artists over and over again, will get the sound of your fav Jazz into your ears, IMHO if you don't hear Jazz internally you'll never be able to play the music.

But what do I know, I'm just a hobbyist........................................
Guy:cool:
This point cannot be emphasized enough.

Trending Topics