Where did all the good music go?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Turi, May 28, 2015.

1. Turi

Turi Member

Dashboard Confessional, The Gaslight Anthem, My Chemical Romance, Brand New, Thrice, Taking Back Sunday, Yellowcard, Fall Out Boy.... man, those were the days.

Some (most) of those bands are still going, touring and stuff, and most their new stuff is good.

..but where'd the heart-on-the-sleeve stuff go?
    Back when these guys came out with their debut and sophomore albums, man, the songs just hit you where it hurts..t

You know, songs like.. Hands Down, Cute Without The E, Helena, Artist In The Ambulance, Nobody Puts Baby In The Corner, The Patient Ferris Wheel, Only One... who's doing stuff like this now?

Stuff that's real and raw.
    I used to damn near bust a vein in my neck beltin' this stuff out back in the day... :(

ZMOJO and sanrico like this.
  2. snouter

snouter Member

You couldn't pay me to listen to those performers.

3. G Man

G Man Member

4. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

you must like having your balls stepped on.

5. Guitarfool

Guitarfool Supporting Member

You can do this with almost EVERY genre/decade and time, just switch out the band names with others and its same thing

I do think that Rock music (mainly guitar driven)... is in a bit of a valley/low point now at least on the mainstream level, it really is

There are 5 stations playing Rhianna, Kei$ha, Chris Brown, etc, etc in NY and not 1 playing some new rock music here in New York and don't tell me to go and "look for it", that's a bit of a cop out, again im talking a bit more mainstream

tenchijin2 likes this.
  6. JonRock

JonRock Member

haha, I never even heard of any of those bands except maybe MCR

IGuitUpIGuitDown likes this.
  7. Turi

Turi Member

You guys should totally check out the artists I mentioned if you haven't already. They're all brilliant.

Yeah I know you can. Your post made me realise something.
    Why is the real, raw, heart-on-sleeve music always guitar driven?

sanrico likes this.
  8. Jason UP

Jason UP Supporting Member

yeah while I personally don't like to listen to any of those bands per se (e.g. your listing Fall Out Boy makes me kinda cringe haha), I see what you mean. You sometimes just have to keep it in perspective that those musicians are aging just like you are and are constantly trying to catch lightning in a bottle trying something "new" (at least new to them) and it often just doesn't resonate with the early fans....while new ones might pop up on albums you think are garbage. I was a die-hard Metallica guy.......and then the "black album" came out. Ugh. The list goes on...Pearl Jam's later stuff didn't resonate for me, Soundgarden, AC/DC, etc...and it's not just rock....New Grass Revival, Bela Fleck, Fleet Foxes, the list goes on...whatever, it happens. I just try to find a new band for me and reinvigorate....

9. Turi

Turi Member

Yeah I get what you mean.. I do dig the later stuff from all the artists I mentioned, but it's their earlier work that hits home for me and feels more real/raw.

I'm tempted to say it's probably the production - maybe I just dig the less-than-studio quality stuff more than the slick production stuff, I don't know.
    I feel like they're all still writing good songs, so I don't really know what it is.

"Get Hurt" might be The Gaslight Anthems best album to date, but the "'59 Sound" just hits the spot, as soon as any song on that album starts, my heart skips a beat I swear.

What's wrong with Fall Out Boy? Patrick Stumps vocals have shot through the freaking roof lately.. the dude's got like, endless range.
    The early stuff from them was great, "Nobody Puts Baby In The Corner" is a classic - but damn man his vocals are on point the last two albums.

10. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

But you'd accept payment to play with them though, right?

Turi likes this.
  11. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

Don't bands like The Mumford Avett Sons Brothers have that youthful, angsty market these days?

If you're looking for good heart on the sleeve music today there are artists like Dawes and Jason Isbell (doesn't get more real and raw than that guy). But they aren't whiny/scream-y rock so if that's what you're looking for...

12. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

this x's about a million

13. Turi

Turi Member

Mumford and Songs are good.. kinda disappeared for me after their first album though. Might need to check them out again, cheers!
    Never heard of the Avett Brothers, or Dawes and Jason Isbell. Thanks for the recommendations, will definitely give them a whirl.

..the screamy stuff is a small part of the "raw" bit. When Chris Carrabba starts belting stuff out that's off-pitch and sounds like he's about to throw up THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!

"Bitter Pill" is one of my favourite songs. That's pure to me. Totally heart on sleeve. Emotional.
    That is music.

14. loudboy

loudboy Member

I think Trent Reznor and Ministry might disagree with you on that one...

sundog964 and IGuitUpIGuitDown like this.
  15. Turi

Turi Member

Never got into NIN, never heard of Ministry.

What songs would you recommend?

16. loudboy

loudboy Member

All those records you mentioned were grid-edited, autotuned and f'ed with to death, my friend.
    By the time the engineers got thru with those tracks, anyone could've been playing.

17. Turi

Turi Member

Maybe, but surely it was less so with the earlier stuff than it is now.
    It doesn't sound like a wall of shine.

I can clearly hear a difference between the earlier stuff and later stuff, with all those bands, as far as production goes.

18. Turi

Turi Member

I also usually like live and/or acoustic versions better than CD versions.
    I prefer this over the version on the CD, for instance.

19. b80

b80 Member

All of those bands except MCR are still active.

As alternative suggestions, have you tried Saves the Day, Say Anything, New Found Glory, Hot Water Music?

Heck, have you heard the Ramones? They started this whole thing.

EDIT: Go buy every album by Descendents. Start with Milo Goes to College and Everything Sucks.

20. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

Ch, ch, ch, changes.... David Bowie. :phones

I don't listen to the bands you mentioned much, but if they come up on an alternative station, I usually recognize their tunes, and I think they're pretty good. But that FOB tune, "Remember Me" is an instant station switcher for me. Cannot stand that song.