1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Where did all the modified gear go?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by LesMesa, May 20, 2011.

1. LesMesa

LesMesa Member

Each month I enjoy reading John Bohlinger’s Last Call article in Premier Guitar magazine. This month I think he hit on an especially interesting topic and thought I’d post it on TGP if someone hasn’t already.

Here’s the link: http://digital.premierguitar.com/premierguitar/201106_1#pg215

Two years ago I purchased a 1977 Les Paul in near original condition. A few pieces of hardware were changed, so it’s not completely original, but the pickups and electronics are all original. The finish is in great (but not perfect) shape too – it’s either a true closet classic or the guitar was refinished and I was scammed. I have no real reason to suspect the guitar was refinished (wish I knew more about 70s Gibson finishes) but this article did make me think about all of the vintage gear out there in original condition.

Any interesting thoughts or stories – please share. I suppose this applies to vintage amps as well.

2. DonP

DonP Member

I have a 77 Custom and the paint in these years wears off unusually easy. Mine sounds awesome, hence it was played a lot.

I'd be worried buying one that has near mint finish in that it's either a refin or a tone turd and never saw much action.

3. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

Known lunatic Ed Roman actually has a coherent rant on this subject, talking about the hundreds of vintage Strats and LPs that had Floyds installed 25, 30 years ago. One never sees them on the vintage market now. What, he wonders, happened to them? Then he talks about how his shop can and does replace bodies for people who have no intention of communicating that to the buyer.

4. LesMesa

LesMesa Member

That's really interesting. I haven't come across these rants (yet). Strats would be easier than a LP to repair/replace after a Floyd job - sad/interesting there are shops that assist unscrupulous sellers.

5. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

Tone turd!!! haha

6. Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey Member

I would guess a lot of the ones with the more minor mods were put back to stock in the vintage-crazed 90's. I know of more than one luthier/repair shop that specialized in that. Collectors as well were looking for lightly modded vintage guitars to put back to stock - the difference in price at the time between "all original" and "period correct" wasn't that much - at least, not far enough to make it lucrative. I wonder if more than a few vintage guitars have, let's say, "less than complete documentation".

I'd also guess that a lot of them just broke, got lost, or got worked to death, as did the huge numbers of NON-modded guitars of the same vintages. Was a time when you couldn't GIVE 70's Strats and Pauls away. I'd wager a lot of the modded guitars of the period just weren't valued that highly, and were either gigged to pieces, or just not repaired if something went wrong.

That said, I do think it's odd you don't find more Floyd equipped Strats or Kahler equipped Pauls around. I actually have an SG of indeterminate vintage (I've gotten guesses that range from the early 60's to a 1970 transitional model) that has routes for a Floyd (since kinda repaired with a one piece replacement bridge) with - get this - SCALLOPS on the last 4 frets. I can't sell it - and I've tried - and I'd imagine that the reasons why would apply to guitars in similar straits.

7. tkozal

tkozal Member

That was an excellent article. Often I see perfect mint odd color Fender basses from the mid 60's around NYC. All covers, etc.. Just toooo perfect, ya know? Especially when there are 5 of them, and most of the buyers there are foreign.

Now, at one place I go to, very often, you see early 70's Fenders in the properly worn condition, with most of the P's having the almost standard route for an added jazz pup.

8. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

my '69 strat was modded with a floyd, and has STAYED that way, cause its AWESOME -- i don't care about "vintage value" -- its a PLAYER!

[​IMG]

9. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

^ That strat is @#$5ing SWEET, I'd rock the heck out of an axe like that

Here's a link to the Roman rant for the curious : http://www.edroman.com/rants/vintage.htm

^ scroll down to "Fun Questions to Ask" and read from there

10. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>my '69 strat was modded with a floyd, and has STAYED that way, cause its AWESOME -- i don't care about "vintage value" -- its a PLAYER!<<

Anyone else think that the guitar and the player look like they're headed to 'way different parties after the gig? ;)