Where did we get the idea that all the decent wood is gone?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by COYS, Feb 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

Well sure, if we cut certain trees faster than they grow, there will be fewer of those trees than there once were. But does that mean the wood is actually scarce?

New York saw a net loss of population over the last few years, but go there and you'll see people aren't scarce ;)

And is the distinction between Braz and EIR or any other fretboard wood that exists meaningful, or is it revered primarily for reasons of nostalgia? (and because a small number of people will pay a massive upcharge because it's "correct"...)

That's really the question - where did the belief come from that the first woods used in guitarmaking were the end-all, and all other woods forever are inferior?

2. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

Source?

superstratjunky likes this.
  3. killer blues

killer blues Member

There is good wood out there but not enough for large scale production. You have to pay for it. Brazilian rosewood, ebony, dark Indian rosewood, top grade korina, Adirondack spruce, etc are all pretty much reserved for custom made guitars and short runs as they are all heavily regulated now. The sad thing is most of this wood by far is in the form of expensive furniture and elaborate staircases. Guitars use miniscule amounts of wood in contrast.

4. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

Why is "dark indian rosewood" better?

5. killer blues

killer blues Member

I read my post a few times over and cant seem to find where I said dark Indian rosewood is better.

6. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I've got 3 guitars that I made from junk wood I got from work:aok:beer

sahhas likes this.
  7. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

8. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

OP: From people trying to justify the asking prices of old guitars, of course. But it's funny how the old wood on a burst is somehow better than the same year of wood on another Gibson. Things that make you go hmmm.

darkbluemurder likes this.
  9. pipelineaudio

pipelineaudio Member

That is an assertion, is there any evidence for it? An electric guitar is for the most part, a motor. I'm not sure an alternator in a car works much different if its mounting bracket is made of aluminum vs steel

sahhas likes this.
  10. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

A car is not largely built out of an alternator's mounting bracket (whereas guitars are made largely out of wood), so that's not a very sensible analogy to begin with. I know there are people on both sides of the argument, but the fact is that different woods resonate differently and I do think that plays a role in the overall tone of the instrument. I don't think it's the only thing that matters (or even the most important thing) and of course there are lots of other factors at play, but I also don't agree with the people who say wood doesn't play a part in things at all.

11. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

You said “we”. Who has the idea there is no more decent wood available for guitar making? Please post who you are you quoting and what they said.

12. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Member

In the guitar building world, there are many who believe that "good" means "the same as it was 60-70 years ago". Now, if we are saying that the characteristics of certain species now compared to 60-70 years ago have shifted, then yes, it has. The average density, age of tree, etc. is very different now than it was, especially for mahogany and maple which are widely used in the furniture and many other industries. That doesn't mean the wood is bad. It does mean it is different.

I build a few guitars a year from scratch, sourcing my own rough lumber. It takes a very (and I mean VERY) long time to find suitable material in certain species that was once more common. There is much higher demand, so what can be found is more expensive and/or of lesser quality. Now, there are tons of non-traditional species as far as guitars go, so we have lots of options, but guitarists are super traditional. Thus the demand for wood, technology, and designs from the days of yore. I get it. I have a nice, light LP gold top I built that is wonderful to play. But I also have built much more modern designs with less traditional materials and they also play great and sound amazing.

13. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

Careful now,, their are those, who, over in the "Amps & Cabs" forum would have your head on a pike if you suggested that their Pine speaker cabs, or their Fender amps, (with Pine cabinets,) did not have the "real" tone.
    Yep,, common 1x12 shelving material,, complete with knots, shakes, pitch pockets, and run-out grain.
    :anon:brick

14. Danny D

Danny D Member

Climate change? There's just too many people.

Doctor Morbius likes this.
  15. motokev

motokev Member

Where did we get the idea that all the decent wood is gone?

The manufactures tell us by hoarding all the good stuff.
    And slowly releasing limited edition guitars for big $$$$.

16. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius Member

Yep. Either we as a species are going to have to figure out a way to cull the population or nature will do it for us.

earthmud likes this.
  17. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

Hey, I'm dying as fast as I can over here.;)

Figaro, Dana Olsen and Doctor Morbius like this.
  18. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius Member

I feel the same way. :(

Dana Olsen likes this.
  19. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Or move to another planet and start the process all over again

20. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

Elon Musk is working on it. All the billionaires are going to migrate to another planet and leave the mess behind for us.

Figaro likes this.