Where did you come from...genealogy content.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by fish78, Apr 15, 2015.

1. fish78

fish78 Member

I have always enjoyed genealogy and the Interwebs have given us access to records that were elusive before. On my paternal side, we have very good records going back to the mid 1500s...some gaps but pretty good indicators back as far as 1300. Essentially from Scotland...a few cross border incursions into England and first Ancestor in US in 1636. In Charles City County VA...was a 3 term Burgess. We are now sacttered throught the country.
    On the maternal side...very good records to about 1720, but there it ends in Germany/Holland...the Sur name reportedly had the Von prefix, but is traced to the Holland side of the border so maybe it was Van? Any rate they got to this country in waves from 1740 to 1760 and all settled in the Philadelpia area, but move sout to GA shortly after the Revolution.
    What is your known ancestry?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  2. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Dad was born in Germany, maternal grandfather was first gen born here from Germany. The rest is a bit Scottish, Irish and Souix.

3. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

Known
    Father's side
    Vikings - We have records all the way back to even some of the guys in the History channel 'Vikings' show. Some English mixed in as they were part of the norman conquest.

Mother's side
    much less known
    In part, fairly recent Russian immigrants. Different theories as to whether they were Jewish. When I got my DNA tested, had big chunks of Jewish, but could have been from somewhere else since we have so much unknown.

Also on that side have people who were called 'gypsies' though really not clear if these were Romani or just other pejorative labels. The references are in letters of the English folks trying to keep their kid from marrying the alleged gypsy.

So that's all not too surprising. I have some red hair, but don't sunburn.

My son interestingly has hints of red in his hair despite being light brown skinned (wife is East Indian).

4. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

Father's side maps back to England, came to states pre-revolutionary war.

Mother's father's family came from Scotland after WW1.

Mother's mother's family came from Germany around 1900.

5. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

Geneoloy? Sounds like something Wolverine's bones are made of.

6. Bankston

Bankston Member

Ancestry on both sides of my family goes back to North Carolina in the 1600's.

I know that my last name is an anglicized version of a Swedish surname and that the first Bengtsson a/k/a Bankson in the U.S. married a woman named Rambo.

Other family heritage includes Scot-Irish, German and Cherokee.

7. Doodad

Doodad Member

We have extensive genealogy thanks to my grandmother and my wife. My wife loves this stuff. We have records back to 1100s and more. Interestingly, my wife just did a very comprehensive DNA test; women can now get maternal and fraternal information. It was very interesting and indicated several particular villages in England where other similar clusters of like DNA are located and confirmed a hole she had in her research where she had two choices of location for a name.

8. fish78

fish78 Member

Thanks, maybe I fixed it...sometimes spelling is a challenge.:worried

9. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

Three of my grandparents are directly from Scotland and my maternal grandmother was half Scot and half German. My oldest brother is the family genealogist and emails out links to us all of our ancestors several times a year. Quite a few mentions in the old Encyclopedia Britannica and in Wiki.

Going back to near prehistory we also have the genetic marker of Somerled so we've got a pretty good fix on certain aspects back to about 1100. Per mare per terra! (By land and by sea.)

10. Jrw8214

Jrw8214 Member

Scottish and German on moms side; Scottish and a little English on dads side. Little bit of indian on both sides too, but hell im from Texas, everyone here has that....or claims to.

11. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Vendor

I did a DNA analysis thingie from 23andMe.com a few years ago. It's pretty interesting because they update my profile as new ways to analyze genomic info are discovered.

Now, I trace back to Scotland on my dad's side (came to America in 1749 via a short stop in Ireland first) and back to Germany on my mom's side (came to America ~1780). That's the straight-path lineage, as best we understand it (and the documentation is good, so there's no reason to doubt it).

But the bigger picture is more interesting when you look thousands of years in the past, which is what you get with genotyping analysis such as provided by 23andMe and some other services.

Here's my current breakdown of ancestry (it has gotten more detailed over time as new data is revealed):

[​IMG]

12. CowTipton

CowTipton Silver Supporting Member

I came from monkeys.

shane88 likes this.
  13. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

Vulcan on my father's side.
    Earth on my mother's.

shane88 and cratz2 like this.
  14. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

All four of my grandparent's families came from Finland in the 1880s.

15. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

A Stork...

shane88 likes this.
  16. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Weird. I'm just the opposite.

My dad had a real thing for pointy ears.

17. Grainslayer

Grainslayer Member

Personally,I think people take this stuff to seriously..and sometimes it leads to racism/hate and violence.ect..I honestly don't know or care where I came from...we are all stuck on the same rock floating around in space.........:brick

18. DYNA BILL

DYNA BILL Member

My father was Welsh and my mother was Hungarian.
    I guess that makes me Well-Hung. :dude

blackmore11 likes this.
  19. fish78

fish78 Member

You have no interest in knowing about the lives of your ancestors? Where they are from, what they did? I certainly want to find out as much as possible. I admit I am less intrigued by the DNA projects beyond linking specific kin.

20. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

:spit