1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Where do all the new Gibsons on ebay come from?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bogdan101, May 18, 2011.

1. bogdan101

bogdan101 Member

2. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

a few years ago, i sold a dozen or so brand new Gibsons for an authorized dealer who could not sell them on ebay without risking their relationship with Gibson.

these were ALL high $$$ custom shop pieces that hang become "deadstock" in inventory, and the store needed to cash them out.

i imagine there are quite a few stores that are doing the same thing....

3. TresGatos

TresGatos Member

4. bogdan101

bogdan101 Member

That makes sense; I've seen quite a few 2011 production regular Les Pauls too tho...

5. LesMesa

LesMesa Member

Are the new Ebay Gibsons selling for less than what you'd see in a store? Then could dealers getting rid of old stock as someone suggested. Always have to watch out for blems sold as new though in those types of auctions.

6. bogdan101

bogdan101 Member

2010 and 2011 production guitars selling for about 20% less than dealer webpage prices. Or is this the discount you get from a (web)store if you ask (call) ?

7. John C

John C Supporting Member

I'm not sure if you could get that much of an additional discount but dealers who aren't on the web often sell Gibsons below the MAP of the web dealers, and I've found that those who are on the web give you a "best price" when you call. I certainly wouldn't hit an "add to cart" on the non-GC/MF Gibson web dealers; I would call them and do the deal over the phone.

8. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! Any dealer who expects to keep their dealership is going to show MAP online. Anyone lower than that isn't most likely a real dealer. But pick up that phone and talk to a human and MAP goes right out the window. You can;t possibly have "shopped" something without picking up the phone.

9. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

Gibson has a separate dealership agreement for online dealers. Last time I asked you had to do a yearly $1.5million dollar order, plus several "smaller" orders through the year. There are only 5 or 6 online dealers I believe. If you are not doing that then you are not allowed to list any guitars on the internet, ANYWHERE. It's kind of ridiculous, but it is what it is.

My shop is the largest Gibson dealer in Northern Illinois, and one of the largest in Illinois/Wisconsin.

I've been told all the time by people that we have the best prices on Gibson's. And I always give TGP discounts :D ;)