Where do amp makers get their speakers?

Brazen

And how do you know that the replacement speaker you want will be better than what's in the amp?

I know that some amp will have branded speakers so that's a given but what about the generic/no name ones (like my Vox VT40+)?

Suave Eddie

And how do you know that the replacement speaker you want will be better than what's in the amp?

I know that some amp will have branded speakers so that's a given but what about the generic/no name ones (like my Vox VT40+)?

That's TGP guidelines. Any speaker that comes stock with any amp is a P.O.S. and needs to be replaced immediately. Any replacement will be an improvement.

Rod

Vibrato & String Bender on Overdrive
Gold Supporting Member
Eminence, WGS, Celestion, Jupiter, Weber, Jensen, Fane, Scumback

BlueRiff

Basically amp makers tend to gravitate toward a certain speaker voicing and usually design their amps with that voice in mind. Some will use off the shelf speakers and some will request a special speaker for an amp. Players also gravitate to a speaker voice and when they get an amp, they tend to put in their favorite speaker - that simple really. Then you have Eminence who has a paralyzing amount of speaker Brit and American speaker choices so you'll have to buy six or seven before you land on the one you want. Very clever. I'm actually a huge Eminence fan and have gotten great results with their units.

BlueRiff

There is a secret stash of old Marshall cabs that they harvest them from.
I heard they're making a bunch more NOS Marshall Cabs in 2017 from which to harvest speakers. Industry insiders indicate at the current rate of production, we'll likely never run out of NOS speakers. I must say I slept better last night than I have in quite awhile!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom