where do i find some decent radial caps?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by mcdes, Feb 23, 2012.

1. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

i got a couple that need doing on a friends ac30, but cant seem to find certain values etc.

im after 10uF, 22uF, 33uF, all at 450v or more?

id like F&T, or similar quality.

any ideas?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  2. ked

ked Supporting Member

Try Antique Electronics or Mouser.

Ken

3. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks Member

ya tubesandmore should have everything you need.

4. mcdes

good selection, but i couldnt seem to find the radial caps i need??

5. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks Member

6. ked

ked Supporting Member

Mouser should have the radial caps.

Ken

7. mcdes

8. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks Member

whoopsie daisy.

you need tiny ones then huh? they aren't clamp mounted?

you need to determine the diameter of the existing caps and whether they are snap in or through hole leaded.

9. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

None of the major good companies make radials in the sizes you want. You will probably have to go with Nichicon's or something similar. Mouser has all of the correct values in both Nichicon and Panasonic:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...GAEpiMZZMsh%2b1woXyUXjy3o2Hvh53vVJ5rkY8HXhPg=

You can retrofit axials to fit in radial holes if you want to use F&T's or something similar, but you will most likely run into a space issue.

10. schmidlin

schmidlin Member

Adam, this is not directed at you, but you did prompt a response. First, just because Fender or Marshall did not use a particular supplier does not mean they are not worthy. Panasonic, for example, enjoys a great reputation. Second, thanks to PCBs, you have a much greater availabilty of radial caps these days over axials. That availability gives more choices, where the typical PTP guy is left scrambling. OP: the oyster is yours. Find your physical/electrical specs and place your order.

11. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks Member

Who are the major good companies if Panasonic and Nichicon aren't included...

12. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Couple of additional points here. None of the stuff Fender or Marshall used to use is available today from the same manufacturer. The OP was asking about F&Ts, which were never used by Fender or Marshall. Neither were Sprague Atoms, Ruby's, JJ's, or even Illinois caps. More of the recently used caps in both Marshalls and Fenders are failing more often than ever before, and way more often than when they were using better quality caps.

I do realize that good is somewhat of a subjective term. Nichicon has been caught putting the wrong value caps inside of different casings. Not something I would consider for a good quality manufacturer.

And any good PTP guy can use a radial or axial in the same setting. The limitation is more for PCB guys, but they can get around it if the want to.

13. mcdes

So could I mount axials like a radial, with the positive Side through the board/the shortest, then the negative from the top down the side of the cap.

FYI, there is reasonable room on the board for either radial or axial really. Just tryin to figure out what would be the nicest/safest way.

14. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks Member

when has nichicon done that where the cap inside was another nichicon. and inside that was another nichicon?

15. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Exactly.

Sorry about that. That was a Rubycon picture that I was thinking of. The Nichicon issue was the leaking and exploding caps. My mistake.

"Nichicon is known to have produced and sold bad capacitors to major computer manufacturers, including Dell, Hewlett-Packard, and Apple. Nichicon's capacitors were prone to pop and leak fluid, causing computer failure. "

From the Nichicon wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nichicon

16. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks Member

hmm that reference for that is funny.

In around 2000 almost all the japanese and taiwanese cap makers were affected by cap plague.

http://www.badcaps.net/

Also, definitely not the reason for dell's decline.

17. guitarcapo

guitarcapo Senior Member

Yes and I think this is why you're having some trouble. No real demand for larger radials. Just mount an axial on end like that.

18. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Member

I use the Panasonics without a moments hesitation. Good stuff. Get the ones rated for 105C to go in tube amps.

All the cap manufacturers, like every other manufacturer, produces products of varying quality for different price points. Any of the bigs, Nichi, Pana, etc. will have consumer grade crap and high rel goodness in the line. Select the good ones.

The "guitar amp approved" brands are often good, but too often have the favorable buzz based on ancient history or some relatively unimportant factor like nice fat leads.

Ignore the hype - look at the real specs.

19. VacuumVoodoo

VacuumVoodoo Member

Seek and you shall find
    The difficulty is in choosing the right cap for the application...while not looking at the price.