1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Where do I get good filter caps for my '68 Fender Twin Reverb?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Loop-Master, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Loop-Master

Loop-Master Member

Hey guys, can ya recommend me a good place and brand of capacitors for replacing the filter caps in my 1968 Fender Twin Reverb?

It has (2) Mallory 70 mfd 350VDC caps and (3) 20 mfd 500VDC caps in there now and I believe are original.

Thanks!

2. Shea

Shea Member

3. Shea

Shea Member

By the way, you should also get a handful of 25 uf / 25 volt caps, and a 50uf / 100v or 100uf / 100v cap for the bias supply. Actually, you might need two bias supply caps if the amp still has that hum balance circuit.

Check a schematic to see what you need. Anything over .1 will be an electrolytic cap, and should be replaced if it hasn't been already.

Shea

4. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

I found Triode Electronics had the best prices. My last order took forever to get here though. :(

DJ

5. AL30

AL30 Member

What Shea said. If you're going to replace the filter caps you may as well replace ALL of the electrolytics while you have it open. It would also be a good idea to check the resistors on the filter cap board and the resistors across the tube sockets.

I've ordered from both Mouser and Antique Electronics. I have not ordered from Triode but I have heard a few less than stellar comments about them of late. I think they have recently been turned over to a new owner.

Hoffman amps has some good instructions on Fender maintenance.

http://www.hoffmanamps.com/

AL

6. gnappi

gnappi Member

It has (2) Mallory 70 mfd 350VDC caps and (3) 20 mfd 500VDC caps in there now and I believe are original.

Thanks![/quote] I get mine at: http://www.thetubestore.com/sprague.html Fast shipping, decent prices, and everything I needed but one cap. Regards, Gary