Where do I guy a cheap speaker cable for an amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wrxplayer, Jan 28, 2012.

1. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

Plug on one side, connectors on the other. Cheap. Thanks.

2. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

Make one out of an old brown lamp cord

3. chrisrocksusa

chrisrocksusa Member

Huh?

4. Onioner

Onioner Member

Yup. Solder, connectors, and lamp wire = speaker cable.

5. photoguy

photoguy Member

Radio Shack has everything that you'll need. I'd be surprised if it added up to $8.00

6. rockonomics

rockonomics Member

Lamp cord is really the way to go. Many of us have something laying around, a toaster, coffee pot, etc. that doesn't work any more. Rob that.
    I recently got some 18 AWG lamp cord for .26 a foot at my local Ace Hardware. The best source for the female part of blade connectors it indeed Rat Shack. Their pancake 90 degree 1/4" connectors are also good quality.
    When I first came here there were guys insisting that the high buck speaker wires are the best thang. Don't listen to them. They're sniffin' corks.
    BTW OP, if you don't know how to solder and don't have the equipment, get it and learn. It's a must for us electric music peeps

7. ken374

ken374 Member

go with a thick 12 gauge cord

8. '58Bassman

'58Bassman Member

Why? 18AWG is fine for most amps and 12AWG won't sound any better- the frequency response isn't wide enough to matter. Plus, he'll need a different (more expensive) plug with 12AWG.

9. rockonomics

rockonomics Member

bull puckey!

This is correct. You'll never get 12 AWG to work with standard 1/4" plugs. There's also a length issue. If you're running, say 20 feet of speaker cable a thicker AWG will be needed. That's true of extension cords, guitar cords or any other kind of electrical cord. But if you need 20 feet of speaker wire, chances are good you've moved into playing stadiums and you have techs to worry about that ****.

10. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Member

For longer cords or bigger wire - Home Depot sells 2-conductor electrical power cord wire by the foot. The gauge of the wire isn't as important as the number of strands that make up the wire. A higher number of strands makes for a more flexible cord with better high frequency response (HiFi applications - not guitar).

11. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

Do you have any extra extension cords laying around.?
    If they are in the 18-16 AWG range, they make a GREAT speaker cable......just because of the heavier, outside insulation. Otherwise, I do not see why the "lamp cord" suggested by other members would not make an excellent 6-10 foot speaker cable.
    Best

12. ken374

ken374 Member

i use a 14 gauge when I had a cab,people say the shorter cable the better. You only need a 3 foot cable to a cab

13. ken374

ken374 Member

I can tell from the sound when using a cheap thin cable to a Horizon 14 gauge, more smoother distortion, little thicker sounding

14. rockonomics

rockonomics Member

More bull puckey. You be hearing things you want to hear. Wire is wire.
    All wire, solid or stranded, is made using an extrusion process. Read up on it. I don't recall the actual percentage, but molten copper has to be damn near 100% pure or it will not go the extruder. It will spit and just not work. The thicker for longer runs statement holds true, but once you get under 3 feet there physically can NOT be a difference in electrical signal transfer from one wire to the next regardless if it's 18 AWG or 8 AWG. Granted, if you go down in the 20 AWG or thinner range you've limited the amount of "water that can flow thru the pipe". The quoted part is still what instructors in any discussion of electrical theory still use and have since the beginning of electrical theory classes.

15. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

You guys have it all wrong. The new wire from the hardware store doesn't have the same outer audio coating mojo. You have to go old stock. Lamps, radios, etc from the forties and fifties - those power cords sound much more clear and much warmer with just the right capacitance.

:sarcasm

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  16. FFTT

FFTT Member

Lamp Cable is fine.

12 AWG cable if you want to go all out.

17. DRS

DRS Member

What does this mean? 1/4" mono on each end is a standard amp to cab cable.

18. rockonomics

rockonomics Member

Some combos have a 1/4" jack at the chassis and a speaker at the other. If you have a head/cab you prolly need 1/4" at each end.

19. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

I"m not going to be able to sell you my $500 per foot audiophile grade cable...damn.