Where do I start?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by mark finley, Feb 26, 2006.

1. mark finley

mark finley Guest

OK, I'm a bass player that has been recruted to learn electric guitar for our praise band at church. I can play acoustic guitar a little, but never really tought myself anythin more than the standard 1st position chords that you se in any music songbook.

My question is, where do I start with electric guitar? I just dont want to be strumming along on the smae chords as our acoustic player, I want to learn a true "electric" style, but I really don't even know what that means. I'm assuming it means power chords, and some melodic fills and lines, but I'm really as clueless as I've ever been in my 36 years on this earth.

Could somebody direct me to some online lessons, or a really good book with a CD or DVD that focuses on playing electric guitar in a modern praise band? The style is that of Chris tomlin and passion, maybe the Newsboys.

I'm sorry if this seems like a stupid newby question, I guess I'm just a stupid newby :(

2. Bluespicker

Bluespicker Member

I'd honestly just study the songs your going to be playing and take from them the things you need to work on. At this point there's no need to learn something that your not going to be using.

3. mark finley

mark finley Guest

I know what your saying, but where do I start? I know enough to know that you just don't start playing by fingering a g chord and start strumming. I'm looking for lesson pages to help me deliver a true electric style.

4. UnderTheGroove

UnderTheGroove Supporting Member

I agree with the suggestion for lessons. You will get immediate feedback and the instructor can help you avoid/fix any bad habits. There are a lot of great books and videos that can help you as well, but I think lessons are a good way to get started in the right direction.

5. mark finley

mark finley Guest

thanks for the tips. I'll look into the links you sent. I'm hoping to avoid paying for lessons, as I am a full time music teacher,and have been for almost 20 years. I also have a music degree and a job playing in a professional symphony. I'm holping that if I find out what to practice, I can teach myself to do it.

6. rod horncastle

rod horncastle Member

I've been playing guitar in church's for over 20 years. The soundman will probably never turn you up so don't worry about it. haha.

What you really need to learn is how to play chords in different spots with different accents so you work around the acoustic player. So learn how to play a chord starting on every string. for instance...

E major starting on Low E (standard)
    E major on A string...........7 fret.
    E major on D string...........2 fret or 14th
    E major on G string...........9 fret (pluck with fingers for staccato effect)
    E major on B string...........5 fret (just that and Major 3rd on next string)

Know how to do a Major / minor / 7th / minor 7th / Major 7th chord everywhere. That'll keep you busy for years.

Then practise your Major / Minor / Blues scales in every key. 3 notes per string. Sit down and draw them on paper so you can see what the shapes look like.
    When playing lead don't be afraid to only play 1 - 3 notes between the vocal parts. Never get in the way of the vocals
    I've spent my life trying to master mixing Lead and rhythm together into one glorious mess. If you play huge chords then hi note solos your thickness drops out of the song. Try to focus your tone into certain areas while on stage.
    Good luck. I'm still looking for the perfect guitar lesson book. never found it. I just make my own lessons & study the masters.

7. mark finley

mark finley Guest

then it's a good thing I'm the media director, and I can ORDER him to turn me up! LOL. The main mixing guy is also my best friend in the world. He'll turn me up.

Thanks for the rest of the suggestions

Mark

8. Allamricn

Allamricn Member

This is probably a stupid response, but possibly the best thing for your lead work and fill in is to get to know the five fingerings of the pentatonic scales. The more you work with these and become familiar with the fretboard I think you will gain confidence not only for lead work, but also different chord positions beyond what the acoustic is doing. I'm kinda in the same situation and this has helped me move on. Best of luck....
    Bob

PS. good music book: Beginning Rock Guitar---Paul Howard. Comes with a play along CD that touches base on alot of subjects.