Where do Tube Dealers get their NOS Tubes from?

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
Most what are not NOS, and based on what experience and with what sellers? If you're going to make a blanket statement like this please back it up.
I think he is basically saying that ANOS is a misnomer.

Timbre Wolf said a few years ago in a similar thread that "ANOS is just a sales-friendly euphemism for lightly used" and there is no arguing against that.

I have never seen this term applied anywhere else. It's confusing to the everyday tube buyer.

Now, it's silly this has to be said, but KCA is the A No. 1 ++ dealer of tubes on the web. Just so that's clear.

buddaman71

Student of Life
Gold Supporting Member
It's generally top secret but I know a few individuals that have been lucky enough to find a retired TV repairman with quite a stash. More and more you see used tubes on the 'vintage' tube market.
my former father in law was a retired repairman and he had THOUSANDS of rare, weird tubes, along with hundreds of 12AX7 and 6L6 tubes.

I haven't had to buy any for years :)

Frank Speak

I come across them once in awhile in my business (Home Services). I came across an old fella a couple of months ago that 2 boxes of old miscellaneous tubes. These were NIB (New In Box), but I didn't see any I recognized and the old fella wasn't sure if any were guitar amp tubes or not. And frankly, I didn't have time to sort through 2 boxes (medium size boxes) of tubes.

Just a couple of weeks ago, I had a younger fella wanted to trade me a Granger amp head for some work we did for him. I passed.

Trending Topics