Where do you get your distorted tones from

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jeffh40, Jan 12, 2018.

Where do you get your dirt.

1. Amp

55 vote(s)
    60.4%
  2. Pedals

14 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. Amp pushed by an OD pedal

20 vote(s)
    22.0%
  4. I always play clean.

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  1. guitargeek6298

guitargeek6298 Member

Pretty much this is what I do. On my 2204 clone or my 4010, I set the amp for light crunch, I have an od with the volume cranked and the gain low for more gain, and a compressor before the od that I'll turn on for a little more sustain for solos.

Roll back the volume for cleans and I'm good.

BADHAK likes this.
  2. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

New Helix owner here. I am using amps only now for my OD tones, with a compressor or boost in front of the amps. I set a foot switch to raise the gain and lower the master volume to keep it balanced.

3. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

I've yet to own an amplifier that didn't benefit from being tickled a bit in the front end with an OD pedal. Even high-gain amps, I prefer to run the gain a little lower and hit it with a pedal.

BADHAK likes this.
  4. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

When I'm at home I rarely use pedals. Just plug straight in , set the amp for a medium crunch that's got enough sustain to solo when the guitar volume is near full, and have at it. But when I'm rehearsing /gigging, I always have a OD set to boost for solos/heavy and in the mix I just love what the pedal does to the amp.

NortheastHick likes this.
  5. MantraSky

MantraSky Supporting Member

Live playing I use a Overdrive/Dist pedal lightly as the amp "opens up" sounds so good then maybe a little push for sustain (longer/feedback at times), some amps like an SLO sounds so good Guitar straight into the amp with nothing else (although I do have my rack EFX/Tuner/IR as well). In my home studio I use a KOT overdrive along with the amps distortion for more push at the front of the amp, they have Great Master Volumes and going into an IR Load, I can push it a bit and still get it to a whisper level (audible-level) then to the DAW to give it a "Larger sound" as though as playing live, loud, full width, focused.

6. Digidog

Digidog Member

About a 50/50 split between amp and pedals. It all depends on what characteristics I want from the dirt.