• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Where do you like the mids on your amp with an SI Fuzz Face style fuzz?

fuzz-bruzz

I'm using an MXR Classic 108 fuzz (108 SI Trannies) and I'm just wondering where everyone puts their mids on their amps (and what amps they use). I find that setting them low makes the fuzz really fuzzy and saturated and the higher the mids go the clearer and less gain-y and saturated it gets which is not always a good thing I find and I'm just trying to get it perfect. Just wondering what everyone else does with their Silicon tranny FF (or FF style) pedals.

Cheers, Alex.

wundergussy

Silver Supporting Member
I set my amp so that sounds its best by itself. If a pedal doesn't "like" my amp that way it goes. Guitar -> Amp has to be the first priority unless you have studio time to tinker.

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
I set my amp so that sounds its best by itself. If a pedal doesn't "like" my amp that way it goes. Guitar -> Amp has to be the first priority unless you have studio time to tinker.
I agree. I never change my base tone to accomodate a pedal.

Fuzz faces are a BITCH to make work. they tend to dissapear as soon as the band kicks in with most rigs and even cranking the amps mids ain't gonna help. The best trick with the FF is to put a TS with the gain off and the volume up after the fuzz. This tames the mud and fizz and bumps the mids.

Since i got my mini-bone I don't worry about this anymore because it does the Si FF sound better than a real FF and it cuts through with no extra help.

Fender074

Playing with a blues trio does have its advantages :aok
I set my amp to where it sounds best to my ears then run a EQ pedal in the loop and tweak my tone from there. I will usually go for a nice fat mid tone and the high end rounded off ever so slightly...does wonders with a fuzz at the right volume! Only use my Fuzz Face with my amps overdrive set with the gain between 1 and 2 so it sounds just like its breaking up. If I was running it through my amp on clean and no EQ pedal like most people do I would probably (depending on the amp of course) have more mid then treble presence at 12 o' clock and bass around 11 o' clock. It does take a long time to get the hang of Fuzz Faces and how they work and the best way to use them to your own needs but once you do you will never look back!

tubetonez

The classic Fuzzface circuit sounds best IMO into a crunchy/marshally amp. With a cleaner amp you can stack an od behind it to get similar results. I use the FoxRox Hot Silicon, have gotten good results running it into a TS type pedal.

fuzz-bruzz

Yeah I've got a DSL401 (w/ 2x12 V30 and G12H30) thats got a great clean tone (mids scooped out a bit for more of a Fender flavor) and I've been using pedals like a Maxon od808 and Throbak ODB to shape and EQ the Fuzz. It's hard with the crappy FX loop and reverb to get a nice naturally driven sound (I'm trying to get something reminisent of a JTM45/100) with a bit of clean echo on the end. I'm just gonna keep at it but I intend on getting a more vintage Marshall flavoured amp in the future.

Trending Topics