Where do you live, and do you like it there?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by guitarfish, Feb 12, 2015.

1. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

I've lived in Pennsylvania my entire life of 48 yrs, and n the mountains of NE PA for the last 30. Pretty good place to be. All four seasons are pretty balanced. No floods, volcanoes, tsunamis, hurricanes, tornadoes or earthquakes. The occasional blizzard and/power failure is about as bad as it gets. And we're a few hours from the ocean, which is a nice vacation spot.

2. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

Columbia, SC. Nice mid-sized town with most anything you'd want. 2 hours from the beach and mountains. 90 minutes to Charlotte and 3 hours to Atlanta if you want to visit a big city. The winters are relatively mild - almost no snow. The summers can be pretty brutal - 100 degrees and 100% humidity.

3. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Member

Kailua HI....sucks....NOT!

Hot enough to sweat today

4. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

It's supposed to be -5 here tomorrow morning you punk!
    :p

5. LDS22

LDS22 Supporting Member

Left Oklahoma for Denver almost 16 years ago (after college) and it's still one of my favorite places in the country. In December we sold a 1300sf house and bought 3800ft place in a much better part of town. I hope we stay in this house for at least 20 more years.

6. hellbender

hellbender Member

Well, there is hamburger all over the highway in sectorR. If that's any indication.

7. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Long Island, NY. I'll probably move after I graduate college.

8. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

I live just 33 miles North of S.F. in a city called Petaluma, (Sonoma County). After traveling all over the world....I just can't think of a better spot to live and raise a family.

I can get to S.F., the Marin Headlands, or Napa wineries in under an hour, (easily),....or I can go to Lake Tahoe in just under 4 hours for snow skiing/gambling, or get to 3 other lakes to Water Ski or fish, all in 2 hours or less. Oh yeah....the weather is pretty nice. It was 73 degrees today...and it will be in the 70's the rest of the week. Typical Winter weather for us:)

9. bonegrubber

bonegrubber Supporting Member

Toronto, CA...currently -17.
    City is OK, been in better been in worse.
    ...always something to do, but with that comes always the people. whaddyagonnado.

10. dohmar

dohmar Member

Adelaide, South Australia. Love it here. One of the most affordable and livable places in Oz (and it rates highly on the 'best cities' lists internationally). It does get bagged out a fair bit by Melbourne and Sydney residents because its a small city (1.2million) so theres a perception that 'nothing ever happens in Adelaide'. I like it at least. Its nice and dry for the most part, temperatures are usually ok (tomorrow is 41'c/110f I think?) and the fishing is great

-D

11. Reverb Kick

Reverb Kick Member

Moving to Monterey this week because San Jose just doesn't do it for me anymore. S.J. was listed as the most expensive housing market in the country, so that means everything else is more value for money, the beach sounded nice. Not to mention SJ has a terrible homeless issue, gangs, the apts are expensive for not very nice places. One bedroom in silicon valley 1,800 for a dump, three bed house in Monterey $2,500. No brainer

12. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

Check the zip code.

:wave

13. NeuromancerAI

NeuromancerAI Member

Edmonton, Alberta. Not bad, no provincial sales tax. Global warming has made our winters more tolerable as of late. It's actually gone above 0 C a few times this winter.

Some long faces in the oil patch lately with prices going down, but it looks like it starting to turn around. I know of a couple guys in the industry who were laid off but picked up jobs the same day up in the Fort. Overall a pretty good city. We bought a house in an up and coming area that blocks off the main avenue a few times a year for music and cultural festivals. We get most of the big concerts coming through, and nice smaller shows too. TTrucks came through, so its nice to have exposure to the "boutique" acts as well. :) Summers are pretty nice, my parents still have the farm so I can get out of town to enjoy the country life as well.

[​IMG]

14. loudboy

loudboy Member

Rochester NY.

Been in upstate NY for pretty much my whole life.

Absolutely gorgeous from May 15 - Oct 15, but then, watch out. Cold and grey, altho we don't get the lake effect snow that Buffalo and Oswego get.

Decent music scene, like any small city. I've never had any problem getting a gig.

OK restaurants, none that really knock my socks off, but we have a half-dozen regular places we like.

Traffic is never really an issue.

Taxes are amongst the highest in the country, and are killing us.

That said, we're getting ready to head to Sedona AZ, for semi-retirement next year, and it seems like the ideal place for us.

15. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri - Very small town....Pop. 3200 - I have everything I need right here - And what I don't have is only 15 minutes away...fine dining, big box stores, huge outlet mall, etc. - Practically no crime, no traffic, low taxes, nice people, VERY affordable housing.

If I need a big city "fix" St Louis is 2-1/2 hours away and Kansas City is 3 hours.

Not crazy about the winters but I'm not going anywhere....even though I'm not from here...I've been here for 20 years now and this has become "home".

16. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

17. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Check my location and it sucks here. We have terrible weather, horrendous traffic, mean ugly chicks, earthquakes all the time, fires, floods and plagues of locusts, right Frankee?

Naah mate, 41C is only 106F...that's a cool summer day in the San Fernando Valley... :D

18. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

I was there this summer, terrible, miserable place. ;)

19. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

Upstate New York College Town. Absolutely love it.

Close enough to go to Yankee Stadium and or do NYC but far enough away to be in Hippie Land. Great scenery for Motorcycle riding? Lots of mountains and twisties. Music scene is kinda lame but I still enjoy it most of the time and make the best of it.

Wouldn't mind shorter winters. It's gonna get to -3 Tonight. ... Uggh. I don't mind hibernating to the man cave and working on my craft during the winter but gosh golly it's a little to long.

20. rowdyyates

rowdyyates Supporting Member

Panola County, Texas - I enjoy visiting other places, but I'll keep living here on my 115 acres.