Where do you place chorus and phaser in the chain?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Super Locrian, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Super Locrian

Super Locrian Member

I read somewhere that modulation effects would work best if placed in the order from most subtle to least subtle modulation, which in my case would mean placing the chorus before phaser. I assume both should precede delay.

What is your recipe?

2. whitenoise

whitenoise Member

i found... (and this may be just me), that when was using delay, chorus, phaser, fuzzes... they worked best in this order

Phaser (phase 90) -> fuzz/dist (shred/rat) -> Chorus (Boss Ce-2) -> Delay (ad9 and dd20) -> amp

i found that placing the phaser in front did a nice job of blending the phasing effect and that placing the phaser after dist/fuzz produced a "generic" (IMO) phasing sound.

3. RDM

RDM Senior Member

Phaser right before or after wah and the chorus, right before delay, at the end.

4. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller Supporting Member

I would say just try it out and see what sounds best. There are no rules, just opinions and some tentative guidelines. I think the biggest decision is not what order to put the modulation effects as very rarely would you have the chorus and the phaser on at the same time (I'm speaking for me), but whether to put them before or after dirt. After dirt seems to give a more pronounced effect. Before dirt more subtle.

5. Super Locrian

Super Locrian Member

So would it work having the phaser right up front, even before the clean boost? (I don't use a wah or a fuzz, only clean boost and overdrive.)

6. RDM

RDM Senior Member

Yes....try your phaser at the begining.

7. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

Chorus after the distortion and before the delay

8. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

No, I'd run it after the boost. You don't want to overdrive / create clipping in your phaser.