Where do you place your compressor?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Paul Anderberg, May 30, 2015.

Where do you place your compressor?

1. Before Dirt

17 vote(s)
    73.9%
  2. After Dirt

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  1. Paul Anderberg

Paul Anderberg Member

Alright, I'm curious to see what most people are doing with their compressors. I use to use mine before dirt but I've recently started using it afterwards and I like it WAY better. What about you guys??

2. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

I have one after some fuzzes and an OD, but before some other fuzzes/OD. Best of both worlds.

3. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

Wah -> tuner -> compressor -> everything else.

Placing your compressor after distortion will always raise the noise floor, which is undesirable in my application.

DesertDirtDog likes this.
  4. Glitch Magnet

Glitch Magnet Member

I'm down with OP. Never really liked compression until I discovered it post-dirt.

There are numerous existing threads already on this very subject, and it seems to reoccur every 3-4 weeks, so I would direct you to the "Search" window in the upper right corner of this page.

5. Sociophile

Sociophile "Ignore" Button Aficionado Silver Supporting Member

I just discovered the YellowSquash Ironfist, which is a transparent compressor/sustainer and noise gate in a single small enclosure. With the addition of a noise gate I finally overcame the increased noise floor from putting the compressor after dirt.

I definitely prefer comp after dirt now, as my picking dynamics are maintained running into the OD and distortion pedals, which is why I am paying so much for them in the first place!

Not affiliated, but I recommend the Ironfist. There's a review up on Gilmourish now.

http://www.gilmourish.com/?p=6698

6. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

SP Comp, first in chain, always on.

7. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

Same chain here...It can screw with OD's post in my case. It absolutely makes my Velvet Fuzz sound soo much better Pre than Post.

8. Squatch57

Squatch57 Member

Fuzz & wah > compressor > Q-tron > dirt & phaser (reversible) > Octave > all time based mod
    I put the comp before the Q-tron to tame the peaks
    I'd like to put a limiter after the flanger for when it goes crazy, but nobody seems to make limiters anymore
    Might have to pick up an old Boss Limiter

9. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

I've always had the best results of stacking effects from lower to highest gain when using dynamics based processors.

trower likes this.
  10. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Mine goes before dirt. The only pedal in front of my comp is my tuner.

DesertDirtDog likes this.
  11. DesertDirtDog

DesertDirtDog Member

After several compressors, I've settled on a MP PGC. A great unit, and the quietest comp I've ever used, but still not noise-free.
    Positioning a compressor after dirt will introduce unwanted and unnecessary noise into my signal, and I already have more of that than I want, due to my fat-fingered pick 'technique'.

12. Bee Thomas

Bee Thomas Member

When I was using single channel amps, I placed the compressor first in chain before dirt. I use the comp for a little sustain and a little volume boost so it doubles for a lead sustainer and a clean booster.
    Since I changed to two channel amps, I found the best place for me was to put it first in the effects loop chain. That way I can boost the signal after the preamp/gain stage and not drive the amp harder, but actually boost the main volume.
    I use an SP Comp set to low with the blend at noon and the volume at 2oclock, but I am looking hard at the Ironfist sustainer because the gate would be very helpful in the fx loop.
    Thanks for the tip, sociophile!!

Sociophile likes this.