1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Where do you place your compressor?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Msboy2011, May 20, 2011.

1. Msboy2011

Msboy2011 Member

Looking into getting a compressor... where do you place yours?

I would consider getting a rack compressor. What's the pros and cons of Rack vs pedal compressor?

2. matthewh133

matthewh133 Member

3. slogger

slogger Member

I put mine first as well.

4. tsinthegame

tsinthegame Member

In my case, it's after the wah but before dirt. Most will put it first. IMO, it does not have to be first but should be among the first.

I've seen a few players put it after dirt. So I guess it's to each his own.

5. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

On the bookshelf.

6. yotoad

yotoad Member

been using compression for a year, after wah and fuzz but before ODs. never really liked the sound i was getting.

this week I moved it after the ODs - incredible change for me - sounds delightful to my ears.

7. benderman

benderman Member

running mine right after my tuner and right before my od's

8. DraggAmps

DraggAmps Member

Before dirt, but there are some fuzz pedals that I put before the compressor because they simply can't be used with a comp running into them but can be used with a comp after for boosting or leveling, and because certain fuzzes (like Germ Fuzzfaces) like to be very early in the chain and like to "see" the pickups as "clearly" as possible. I put my Germ Sunface right after my true bypass tuner. Depending on what other fuzzes I have, I put the comp after them. I do put the comp before my Pharaoh and Scarab Deluxe fuzzes, because they can benefit from the boost a comp provides.

9. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

I have always placed it after dirt, but recently placed the compresssor before dirt in a trial period basis. After several weeks of placing the compressor before dirt on one of my boards, both of the boards now have the compresssor after dirt pedals.

10. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Depends what you want it to do. I used to use mine after OD so that I could have more dynamics with the OD, then I started getting more tone out of my amp and using my OD as boost (even my comp as a boost too). Once I did that, I turned of the compression because it hurts your dynamics. Since then, I put it in the front of my chain (after wah) and I use it to smooth out the OD on leads/solos. The comp will even out volumes and frequencies you play so the OD responds more similarly across your playing.

If you have a rack already and don't mind it, then rack comps might be a good way to go - people who use those say they sound better. However, companies are starting to put "rack quality" compressors in pedals.

11. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

12. boogiejem

boogiejem Silver Supporting Member

I put it first in the chain (after the tuner), set it to a subtle smoothing and leave it on, that way it also buffers for the TB pedals on the board.