Where do you place your equalizer in your stomp box chain?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Yossi, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Yossi

Yossi Member

Those of you that use an equalizer, where do you place it in your signal chain?
    I have the Boss GE-7 on my board and I am having trouble finding where it works best.
    I have the RMC-3 wah >AC+>BB> Tonepress >GE-7>MXR Flanger>Deja Vibe> DD-3 >Amp

I am getting a lot of extra noise. What do you suggest?

2. hecticone

hecticone Member

I always put mine before the modulation effects.

3. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I use mine in my FX loop

4. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Member

I also have a Boss GE-7, and I put mine in the effects loop. I've found it has to go after the distortion to have the best effect. I get my distortion from the amp itself (Carvin Legacy), so I put it in the loop. If you get your distortion from a pedal in the clean channel, try it both in the loop, or after the distortion pedal in front of the amp.

Another cool use of a EQ pedal in the loop is to set it completely flat, and kick the output level up a dB or two, and use it as a solo boost.

5. RC2

RC2 Silver Supporting Member

I put my MDEQ after fuzz/distortion/OD and before modulation

6. phillygtr

phillygtr Member

Look at this website:

www.amptone.com

He advocates a pre-distortion EQ as the most important lacation in the signal chain. Apparently a "frown" EQ shape > distortion > "smiley" EQ shape will sound totally quite different than a "smiley" > distortion > "frown" sequence.

7. Yossi

Yossi Member

Thank you for that website. It is a great source of information; and GAS!!
    After reading what he had to say, I purchased the Ultimate Attenuator.
    It should be here in a short while.

Do you think that when he is referring to the EQ before and after the Distortion, that he is talking about having two EQ pedals on the board? Or something else?

What do you say?

8. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I put mine right after the dirtboxes, but before any other post-gain effects. I do put all my pedals in front running into a spanking clean amp.

9. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

I put mine in my Tim's loop after my distortion. It works great for me, but I gotta admit I haven't experimented much doing it differently, but probably just because I was so happy with the way that worked. That is reliant on having a Tim, though, of course.

10. phillygtr

phillygtr Member

I think what he's trying to do is make guitarists think about their rig as a set of modules (pre-dist EQ>Dist/preamp>post-dist EQ etc.) so that they can get better sounds out of their existing equip without always thinking about "the next best amp". So yes, depending on the rig, he may be talking about two EQ pedals bracketing a dist pedal OR he may be referring to pre-dist EQ as the sound of pickups/guitar naturally. For example, John Mayer uses "Big Dipper" pickups which have the mids scooped way out. That's pre-dist EQ voicing.

11. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

I've tried it in different spots. Right now I have a rack EQ as the last thing before the amp, more or less just to get more control than the amp's tone stack provides. I'm thinking of putting my GE-7 in a loop with my tube screamer, I'll have to see if I like it better before or after the TS but I'm going to use it to boost the bass that's lost in a TS. If I put it before it will overdrive the bass more, if I put it after it will boost a cleaner bass.

+1 for www.amptone.com

they are recommending two EQs (but one of those can be your guitar's tone or the amp's tone stack). Their main idea is that if you cut certain frequencies BEFORE the OD then boost them after, you can control which frequencies get overdriven. For instance, you can eq out a lot of the highs, over drive the signal, then boost the highs up again and you'll get a tone that has distorted lows but cleaner highs. Or you could do the opposite... I'm essentially doing this right now, I leave the tone on my guitar pretty bright, then give the lows a boost with EQ right before the amp. If OD is off it sounds balanced and if OD is on it's still balanced but the lows don't get as distorted which is necessary because my amp is bass heavy and can get sloppy fast.

You can really change how an OD sounds by doing this but your pedalboard will fill up with EQs fast too!

12. Yossi

Yossi Member

You are both saying that the amptone.com is referring to EQ from any source before the OD, and that can be from the POTs on the guitar?

Both of your answers really helped me to understand what he's saying. Thank you.

I am now curious. How many players have multiple EQs on their boards?

13. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

I haven't seen a lot of separate EQs on boards... but keep in mind that lots of pedals have tone knobs and are acting as EQ. Lots of players stack overdrives (i.e. one light OD, one heavier both turned on) which is acting like having an EQ before that second OD. The important thing is that you think about what kind of signal is coming into the OD (is it already distorting, does it have a lot of highs, does it have a lot of lows) because that will change how the OD interacts. It's making my head hurt.

So back to your original question... a better question is, what do you want to change about your tone with no EQ on? Answer that and I might be able to make a suggestion!

14. Yossi

Yossi Member

I started out with a noise problem.
    Then I bought the ISP.
    The noise didn't go away.
    Then I wondered if the EQ might be making more noise.
    Then I was referred to the website Amptone.com and learned about EQ before and After the OD. How that was the Key to great tone.
    Then I ordered the Ultimate Attenuator.
    Then I learned more about EQ.
    You think YOUR head hurts??
    So what do I want to change about the tone?
    Just simple great tone. Nothing complex.:)

15. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

Here's a blog I wrote about getting rid of noise:
    http://electriccom.blogspot.com/2008/06/keeping-hum-down.html

The biggest thing to know about tone is: Great tone comes from great hands. I can't walk up to hendrix's rig and sound like him because I can't play nearly as well.

Tone can certainly be made better or worse though and the first thing you need to know is what do you want to change because there's no formula. Is the bass to mushy? The highs too harsh? Does the whole thing sound dull? Nasaly?

16. Yossi

Yossi Member

Good blog!
    1. I never thought about the power lines vs. the instrument lines. Very interesting.
    2. I am using mostly the planet waves do it yourself cables. They are screwed in to the jacks. I wonder if they are the problem?
    3. I haven't gone through the one at time test yet but I will soon.

As far as tonal problems. I don't have any glaring issues, other than the noise. Most of the time I have a lot of enjoyment from my rig. I am more interested in learning as much as I can about how the amps and effects work so I can do more and continue to grow.

here's some recordings of my rig at my office. I would be interested to hear some critique: http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?songs=660719&T=8866

17. Jason Carter

Jason Carter Member

RMC-3 wah >AC+>BB> Tonepress >GE-7>MXR Flanger>Deja Vibe> DD-3 >Amp

Yoshi I would put the Deja Vibe after the RMC. Try this signal path and see how it works on noise. I have a similiar set up, Fulltone recommends putting it first.

RMC-3>Deja Vibe>Tonepress>GE-7>AC+>BB>MXR Flanger>DD-3>Amp

18. Yossi

Yossi Member

Wow, that is a similar set up! What's the DD 3?

19. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

He was listing the pedals you listed in your original post, just in a different order! Doh.
    :jo

20. Yossi

Yossi Member

Sheeszz, do I feel dumb now:agree
    This must have thrown me off.

Forgot the DD3 was delay, too. I'm gonna have to pull over and take a break.