Where do you put your tuner?

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
For those of you who use a tuner pedal, where in the chain do you place it? I have always put my Turbo Tuner first because it's true bypass, I always assumed it would be the most accurate if first in the chain, and works as an effective signal mute for when I am switching guitars. But scrolling through the Show Your Pedalboard threads I see folks put their tuners everywhere--i.e., first, last, or anywhere in the middle. Is it really just a matter of where it best fits? What are the pros and cons of placing it elsewhere in the chain?

I am in the process of building an entirely new pedalboard, so I am really trying to rethink how I arrange things and what makes for the best and most effective pedal layout, disregarding previous assumptions.

TeamJA

Silver Supporting Member
I recently re organized my board and moved up to a PT-2. I put my tuner after dirt and fuzzes and before my modulations. I did this for two reasons. First, I can tune while having some trails going on in a song. Second, I can run stereo. Hope this helps.

coltonius

Señor Member
Silver Supporting Member
First would be ideal, since it would get the clearest signal from the guitar. Mine is a little downstream because I use a buffered splitter after my fuzz and overdrive. It gets funky if I forget to turn off the dirt before tuning, which is why I'd like to know the logic behind putting one at the very end of a pedal chain. Signal mute maybe?

Coheed

Silver Supporting Member
Right now, like you, using a turbo tuner first in the chain for the same reason; true bypass. When I had my Polytune3 and Strobostomp HD, I would have them in buffered bypass and place the directly after my gain section.
If it’s true bypass, I suppose you could get away with placing anywhere you had room; as long as it tracked fine.

Ry@n

My typical chain is guitar>compressor>tuner>everything else, because I want the tuner before stuff that is going to muddy things up or modulate the pitch in any way. I put the compressor first because I’ve been sold on the idea that the only part of my signal I want compressed is the guitar itself (no noise any other pedals may be making), and because I figure the sustain might even aid in the tuning process.

If I decide to play with something like a Fuzz Face, which I put first, I just turn the FF off for tuning. But I don’t want to have to turn everything off to tune, so putting the tuner last makes absolutely zero sense to me.

hatsubai

Guitar -> impedance-sensitive devices -> input buffer -> tuner assuming it's true bypass. If not, see if the tuner can replace your current buffer. If it can't, then put it in some sort of tuner out. From there, dynamics -> drives -> volume -> modulation -> time-based -> output buffer -> amp. Feel free to experiment, though!

cram

volume pedal has a tuner out. I have that within a loop-master effect loop pedal, so it's not in the signal at all times. I engage the loop, kill the volume and tune.

before the loop master, I'd have it last as the TU-2 has a buffer and if there was signal loss, this seemed to help.

chanley

Gold Supporting Member
Strobostomp HD, first, in true bypass. Second if I use a wah. Might try moving it after my dirt and put it in buffered mode and see if that makes any difference.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom