where does 5 Lbs put a alder strat body?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dazco, Feb 23, 2009.

1. dazco

dazco Member

Would that be considered heavy, just right, what?

2. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Very heavy. 4 lbs is about average.

3. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

that will be a brick. with a full size steel block trem and typical hardware you will have a 8 1/2 pound strat or even a little more (depending on hardware. piclkups,etc).

4. dazco

dazco Member

Thanks. actually i just realized he is selling it with the bridge and loaded pickguard which is on it in the pics. So i just emailed him to see if he weighed it with that stuff on it. If so i think that should make for a extra pound for sure.

5. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

If all that stuff is on it, and comes to 5 pounds that way, then you actually have a really light body! A strat bridge is about 14 oz. or so, as is a loaded pickguard , so that would mean the body is in the 3 to 3.5 pound range. of course it totally depends on the accuracy of his weights, and the type of bridge , pickguard, pickups, etc.

6. dazco

dazco Member

Well, he answered and it is 5 Lbs fully loaded and ready to both a neck onto. So it's apparently good to go.

7. dazco

dazco Member

I bought it. I couldn't be sure this is as good as it looks, and i was afraid to post it here for fear it would get nabbed because it was such a killer deal. I wanted to see if anyone here could tell me something about it that would make it best to avoid. but after reading his feedback it seemed like i had to go for it. It's not a fender but made by some small luthier. seems like a crazy good deal on a extremely nice 3TSB fully loaded. i will not likely use anything on it except the jack and pup covers/knobs, but from what i've seen over the course of 3 months looking at bodies on ebay this seemed like a deal too good to be true at $129 for the body alone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Strat-Body-Sunb...14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

8. Jan Folkson

Jan Folkson Member

5 lbs loaded is a good weight. Figure the neck will be about 1.5 -1.75 lbs with tuners. Should make for a fairly light strat.