Where does Chase Bliss go from here??!?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Black_Label, May 3, 2016.

1. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

C-B just got a new shop. So Joel's not retiring to a beach in the Caribbean. Awesome phaser. Awesome chorus/vibrato. Awesome trem. Awesome flanger. Awesome delay on the horizon. So what effect is next?

la noise likes this.
  2. deadlands

deadlands Member

Flanger, Octave, Filter and stuff not yet dreamed of. Still plenty of analog paths to take.

One thing, I wish people would get a CB reverb out their heads. There's no way to do analog reverb without a spring pan, large plate or a real room. Just doesn't seem like something in CB's wheelhouse of "Analog Heart, Digital Brain".

3. BintyTwanger77

BintyTwanger77 Member

I think Joel said in an interview he wasn't interested in making a reverb pedal. Which is a shame. Imagine how incredible a CB reverb would be, though I do take the points above on board.

4. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

I to would love to see some dirt.....

Much like the TC Nova Series overdrive where it had analog bits with a preset setup.....obviously C B being in a totally different league...but you get what I'm saying!

5. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

I'd love to see dirt, too. An analog pedal that can do everything from EQ to clean boost to TS-style dirt, Klon-style dirt, Dumble-style dirt, Rat tones and high gain? All with digital control and MIDI presets? In a CB-sized box? Sign me up now!

NHBluesMan likes this.
  6. saintzanus

saintzanus Member

that's what i was thinking until just now... if a reverb is an array of slighlty modulating delays, then couldn't he use digital control to run all sorts of different clock speeds to multiple analog delay chips with some sort of feedback matrix, thereby creating an analog wash? kinda like a belton brick, but with way more control because of the ability to program more complex digital algorithms to control the clock speeds of the analog delays. i don't know if it would sound good, but i think it could it could be done. no spring pan required.

7. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Staff Member

I was actually wondering the exact same thing earlier today when I was reading the rack gear thread about how they designed the reverb algos w multiple delays. I wonder if it's feasible or not in a CB pedal?

8. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

If you're using that much digital control to turn a delay pedal into a reverb pedal, at what point does it just become a digital pedal?

9. la noise

la noise Member

I suspect Joel can handle the direction he
    feels inspired to go in all on his own. He's
    done a hell of a job so far, hasn't he? :aok

Poor guy. His Delay hasn't even hit the streets
    yet and here we are pushing for the "next" thing.

:D

10. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

I assumed he was going for world domination...

Abram4235, Fuzzr and la noise like this.
  11. AnalogKid85

AnalogKid85 Member

A stereo version of the Warped Vinyl would be a good place to start! ;)

12. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

Stereo everything, all the time (in a perfect world).

13. dwoverdrive

dwoverdrive Supporting Member

I don't know but their stuff sure is really cool.

14. zzzzzzz

zzzzzzz Supporting Member

Yup this is my only complaint about the warped vinyl... Wish it has stereo ins and outs to be at the very end of my chain.

First world problems...

15. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

I think he mentioned in his TR interview that he wasn't really interested in doing dirt pedals, but I imagine with his creativity, knowledge, and amazing execution of micro-processing in an analog environment, that he could come up with something very cool in the fuzz family.

16. mikoo69

mikoo69 Supporting Member

Midi controlled EQ would be sick with LFO ramping through the frequency spectrum.

thomas4th likes this.
  17. Transmisser

Transmisser Member

I say Reverb.

......Please?

18. tobereleased

tobereleased Member

I'm not sure how his current design approach would handle dirt.

His effects so far have relied on manipulating signals (particularly LFOs) and things like bucket brigade chips where changing a resistance significantly alters the behaviour of a circuit. I think to gain control levels in a gain circuit beyond what's already available, it's about switchings architectures - switching transistors or diodes is kind of already done, and is somewhat limited in what you can do without changing architectures or at least tuning the bias values around them.

At the point you're changing architectures, you could just get multiple different pedals to cover them, or model them all in digital. To have more than a few architectures in a CB sized box could prove tricky, especially given that some of the market would be trying to push against surface mount components for a gain pedal.

It'd be doable of course, but I would be more interested in more modulation and filtering effects. A filter pedal that can blend between envelope and LFO for cutoff, resonance, etc sounds much more up his alley, and he could probably develop a filter that sounds as juicy as the Moog ladder filter.

19. Modulator

Modulator Member

I think from here, Joel should go on a vacation, rest the brain, maybe get inspired for the next few pedals while taking a break? Hard to believe that CB hasn't been around very long.

Already has a flanger in the lineup. Rather than an octave, which seems kinda simple for his line, an analog harmonizer that has octave as a subset of the many things it should be able to do. If a harmonizer won't fit in the box, maybe a CB style ringmod/frequency shifter (preferably with up and down outputs for stereo use, a frequency shifter at less than 1Hz carrier wave sounds like the most lush stereo tremolo/panner ever, but I've never seen an analog freq. shifter under $800).

la noise likes this.
  20. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

I bet he'd knock the snot out of an analog chorus