Where does your bass player stand in relation to the drummer?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Moxsam, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Moxsam

Moxsam Member

Our last gig had the bass player on the drummer's left. (snare/hi hat side). We have 3 people (vox and guitars) in the front row and drums and bass in the back.

Watching a video of the performance it seemed like the (right handed) bass player was kind of looking at the wall whenever he was glancing at his fretboard. Kind of looked like he was in his own world rather than facing the rest of the stage.

The other issue I was thinking was having his amp on that side may negatively affect the snare mic due to bass bleed.

Thoughts?

2. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

Bass player is always stage right for us. We put his bass amp on the stage left side of the drums. The theory being it gives the low bass waveforms some space.

3. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

I play bass in several projects. Always to the left of the drummer. Just because that's the way I like it. I never heard of "giving the low bass waveforms some space". I'd like to see the science.

4. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

Yeah I don't know. I know my subs open up further out. If anything it lets the drummer hear the bass really well.

5. wrong_note_rod

wrong_note_rod Member

The bass player I really like to work with, stands next to the drummer in a spot where he can watch the drummers kick drum foot.

6. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

7. PhilF

PhilF Member

I play bass in my original project, and I don't even stand on the same side of the stage every show. That's just because we have 9 people and we fit wherever we can.

8. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

About a half beat ahead.

:rimshot

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  9. CRBMoA

CRBMoA Member

Stage left, playing a 5-string equipped w/Schaller straplocks.:dude

10. geetarplayer

geetarplayer Member

I played with a bass player for years who insisted on being to the drummer's left, so she could see the kick drum. Never occurred to me before that.

11. basso17

basso17 Member

When I'm playing bass, I like to stand on the drummer's left, because that's the hi hat side. (I guess if I played with a left-handed drummer, I would stand on his or her right if I could, for the same reason.)

12. CRBMoA

CRBMoA Member

To be serious, I stand to the left of the drummer because, while the good ones are always paying attention, ones that are less experienced, fatigued, inebriated, etc., will tend to look to their left, and it is easier to get their attention.

Also agree that it is easier to see the footwork.

Any side will work, but Geddy and I choose stage left.

13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

I am the bass player and I usually stand on whatever side there is room for the mixer rack on since I am usually mixing as well.

I guess if you have a sub bass player or something he may need to see the drummer's foot. My drummer is always right on time and I'd follow him into hell. lol I never need to be cued and neither does he. Nor do I ever have a problem hearing what he's doing regardless of where I am.

14. vicdeluca71

vicdeluca71 Member

My bass player is cool,drummer,he's an a$$hole

15. rodeodee

rodeodee Member

I've rarely seen a bass player that's not standing on the snare & hi hat side of the stage - in order to be able to communicate with the drummer and eye contact etc...

16. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

I guess I just don't get that. 90% of the time I wind up on my drummer's right. If I needed to see his ugly mug, which I don't, I could still see him. We used to practice in the dark. That's no lie.

17. wpawley

wpawley Member

We play in the dark-no one wants to see just how old we are, LOL.

I stand on the right side with one of the bands I play with and on the Drummers left in another.

18. Endr_rpm

Endr_rpm Member

It is WAY easier to get the drummers attention on the snare/hat side of the kit. I prefer to stand on the right side due to sound reasons, (Crash is almost always in line with the snare. Ugh), but if its a new drummer, or the monitoring is bad, I'll hang out on the other side.

RE: Watching the foot- I learned that trick from a guy I played with in church. Bass drum is the first thing to get drowned out.

19. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Not if they're properly miked with good subs and a good PA system.