Where/How to buy a "Player" guitar ...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ECase, Jun 1, 2008.

1. ECase

ECase Member

K...

I'm frustrated with eBay, but not in the way you think.

I'm NOT a collector. I'm a full-time player who is looking for a DECENT/GOOD instrument, an SG in particular. Not interested in MINT. I want something that might have some nicks and scratches in it -- some soul, some would say -- but that plays well.

eBay just seems to be dominated by mint/new gear that people are unloading. Are there any websites (this one included) where NORMAL people are selling NORMAL guitars?

Thanks for any insight.

2. KazJY

KazJY Member

Great question. I love buying this sort of thing used from a Mom and Pop shop, but the Mom and Pop shops aren't easy to find nowadays either.

I'd suggest posting a "WTB" ad on the Emporium, as someone has to have something that is just sitting around that might be given up to a good home for the cash...

and hey - I just looked and saw that you are in Chicago - I went to Midwest Buy and Sell a while ago, and they had a TON of SGs. I am not sure how much they haggle, but I had my eye on a few of em there. They aren't mint, but just need a good cleanup, I am sure.

3. MrMike

MrMike Member

My personal fave is www.chrisguitars.com
    I've never bought from him (although that may change within the next week or so) but I've heard nothing but stellar remarks about his customer service. I've also heard that it's best to call early in the day if you're interested in something because email isn't his strength. His site is updated almost daily. You can also check http://www.elderly.com They get some decent used stuff in on occasion. I'm sure there are plenty of others.

4. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

5. jimlp

jimlp Member

I am in the opposite camp, I am looking to sell a LP Standard that had some shop wear when I bought it a couple of months ago and everyone wants a mint guitar.

6. stratmaniac

stratmaniac Member

Chris is great to deal with. Never bought a guitar (yet) but have bought effects, a Hotplate, pickups etc on a few occasions.

7. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

From the "One That Got Away" Files...

There was an SG that had just come into my local shop around 1993. It was hideously ugly. Someone had sanded it and painted it a see thru green. It was ugly of epic proportions. The store owner offered it to me for $100 and laughed, I passed. It felt fine, it sounded fine, it was just hideous. After he took it apart and found PAFs in it, and it turned out to be an early 60s SG. A friend of mine bought it- and I still laughed at him. That guitar, as awesome as it may have been- it was hideously ugly and at that time, any money into that guitar was a bad idea.

Nowadays...

8. Elmer

Elmer hell is chrome

Uhhh.... TGP Emporium?

:D

Seriously, I have picked up a couple of great "players" guitars in the emporium here for good prices. Just gotta know what you want, keep an eye out, and be ready to pull the trigger when one comes up.

I have never bought anything from chrisguitars.com, but I have exchanged emails and phone calls with Chris, and he seems like a stand up guy to do business with. I have heard a lot of positive things about him, and he seems to get some pretty cool gear in on a regular basis.