Where in the bay area can I take my '64 Deluxe Reverb for repair

Glowing Tubes

Gold Supporting Member
Hi,
My 64 Deluxe Reverb suddenly started sounding off and when i looked in the back one of the power tubes was glowing much brighter and hotter. (Redplate?) I immediately turned the amp off and have not turned it on since.

Being that this is a vintage amp and very dear to me, i want to take it to somebody i can totally trust.

Anybody know of a good trustworthy amp tech i could take my amp to in the bay area?

Thanks!

RC

proxy

Silver Supporting Member
I've had my boutique amps worked on by Val King at King Amplification near downtown San Jose. Always been happy with him.

michael.e

Silver Supporting Member
Hal at Guitronics is the man. I once took a vintage Marshall to King and it came back with Orange Drops and sounded like crap. It started blowing fuses after about 2 weeks. I sent it to Chris Merren and he set it right. He put the old Daly cans back that King had put JJ's in place of. Maybe King knows Fenders better, but, even I know that orange Drops have no place in a vintage Marshall.

Mike

Keith Reinegger at the Amp Lab in Campbell. Jim Campilongo calls him a "Zen Master". I do too.

THE AMP LAB
On the West coast there is none better at amp repair then Keith Reinegger at the Amp Lab in Campbell, CA. As far as I'm concerned he's the "Zen Master". Tell him "Jim Can't-Be-Long-Now" sent you.
Keith Reinegger
Amp Lab
279 Dillon Ave # 1
Campbell, CA 95008
(408) 871-2422

Last edited:

dhdfoster

Gold Supporting Member
No experience with their amp repair, but SF Guitarworks has an amp guy, now. Their level of service and quality, in general, is very high.

proxy

Silver Supporting Member
I've used Keith too for a repair on a PCB/tube amp. Took about a month, but I understand PCB repairs take longer than PTP.

Amp worked great after that. His shop definitely has a "mad genius" vibe with amps upon amps stacked up and whatnot.

Glowing Tubes

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for the responses. I guess I was hoping for one clear winner. Sounds like there are varied experiences with people out there.
Still will be watching this thread for suggestions too. :)

michael.e

Silver Supporting Member
I have used Keith as well and have had good experiences with him.

Also, I believe SF Guitarworks uses Hal at Guitronics.

Echoes

Another vote for Skip Simmons....he is the man! I just sent my sick Super Reverb amp (chassis alone) out to him today....he revived my '53 Pro Amp a few years ago....

None better IMHO....

martyncrew

Platinum Supporting Member
I've used Keith at Amplabs - good work, great value but not always the most timely. Val King is more expensive but does great work and is usually on time. If I was looking for service on a '64 DR, I'd go to Val King without a second thought.

Trending Topics